1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Might get outed by co worker

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Trailblazer, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Trailblazer

So I came out to a co worker about 2 years ago after her son came out to her and she wasn't handling it very well. I showed her we are good people and she's kept it to herself and she came around. Well since then she has turned pretty psychotic and has developed a bad Conan problem and anger issues. Well we had an altercation last week and I am afraid she is going to start outing me to everyone at work. I don't want this to happen and I really hope she keeps it to herself. I just need some support.

2. Bikermm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thats awful! I don't know the employment laws in Canada but if someone did that here it would be bullying in the workplace and an offence which could cost them their job.

I hope it doesn't happen and everything is ok for you.

3. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Trailblazer,

Sorry to hear about your circumstances. Do you know anyone whom you could ask about the legal situation? I don't know how things work in your province but it looks like there are good anti-discrimination laws where you are, it covers sexual orientation and the employment relationship. Here's some links:

The Ontario Human Rights Code | Ontario Human Rights Commission

The Human Rights System | Ontario Human Rights Commission

The first sets out the Code and the second is links to the Human Rights Agencies in Ontario.

So you'll have the law on your side if a dispute arises but it won't necessarily stop a dispute arising. Could you speak to her about your argument and make it clear that it is up to you to decide who you come out to and (if necessary) point out the legal and job risks for her?

Hope this helps. Take care.