1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I tell my southern parents that I'm atheist?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by OrchaidLover, Dec 5, 2016.

1. OrchaidLover

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay so a lot of people joke about how religious people from the deep south are.As someone who comes from a deep southern family I can assure you it is true. Which is why I haven't told my family I'm atheist. I will be eighteen in a couple months but won't be able to move out for several months. I'm almost certain that my family will disown me if I tell them I'm atheist and I'm concerned that my mother will kick me out. Even if she does wait till I'm of age I don't really have any friends who I could stay with. I would wait to tell her but my mother recently started doing family dinners where we are expected to pray and say grace. I can't morally say grace when I don't believe in any god so I've been avoiding it. How do I tell my family I'm atheist without being disowned? Seriously I could really use some advice.

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the same Coming Out rules apply to religion and sexuality. You should only come out as atheist to who you want to, and no one has a right to know about your religious preferences. I don't suggest you tell them until after you are no longer financially dependent on them. You don't have to lie or be fake with them. You can honestly tell them that you are struggling with your faith, and would prefer to have someone else say the blessing.

3. warrior

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was in exactly the same situation, and as an ex-Muslim coming from a deeply religious and culturally conservative family, you could simply imagine my situation. But guess what? My family knows both my views on religion + my sexuality, and are being very accepting.