1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with being unable to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by goma, Dec 16, 2016.

1. goma

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi, all. I'll try to be as succinct as possible. I've only recently come to the revelation that I am bisexual. It took me a long time to realize this about myself due to my conservative upbringing and also conservative environment ("I can't possibly be gay, right?"). But accepting the feelings I've always known I had for girls, I feel much more comfortable with myself. Thoughts of "What if I had a girlfriend?" make me smile and daydream. However, I currently find that it's impossible for me to come out, lest I harm or completely lose my relationships with my conservative Christian family. They already have a hard time swallowing that I'm athiest; finding out that I'm attracted to men and women would slay them.

I feel uncomfortable that I can't admit to my parents who I really am. I'd like to have the freedom of pursuing a relationship with a woman if I wanted, without worrying about losing my family. But I fear I can't have both, and it's really distressing.

What do you do? How do you cope with having to live with a secret? Do I just wait until my parents die before I come out of the closet? (lol)