1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in college?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ConnectedToWall, Dec 17, 2016.

1. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I wanted to come out in high school, but then it became really inconvenient for me because I became close friends with ppl who would be unaccepting and I feel like my friendship with them is so good despite this that I wouldn't want to give it up or complicate or change it.

I want to be out in college though, so I can be free, and I guess so that the friends I make will not be homophobic and those people who are homophobic right away will not want to be around me.

I've never been out before though, to a community of people, so I guess I'm just looking for some practical ways to go about this. I guess, casual ways to come out to people. I know when I was a freshman in high school this guy who is gay right away started talking about how he had this crush on a celebrity. So I guess I could try doing that. Have any other suggestions?

2. goma

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Does your college have a Gay-Straight Alliance club? That may be a good place to frequent, it's a place where you can meet similar people. Secular Student Alliance clubs are also LGBT-friendly. Even when not in clubs, I find that one can comment on their non-straight sexuality with more ease than in a place like high school. College campuses tend to be more liberal, so coming out there is typically a little easier (at least in my experience). Also, people are more concerned with their grades and/or jobs to scrutinize you lol.

You also might have luck finding fellow LGBT and ally friends depending on your major. Art majors tend to be such.

3. Silver Sparrow

I definitely agree with goma. If your school has a Gay-Straight Alliance group (or anything similar), going to a meeting could be a good idea. Some colleges might have multiple LGBTQ groups that might be smaller, or there might be other groups that are notably LGBTQ friendly.

Some time into high school (and now in college as well), I just sort of started acting like I had come out to people-I would mention my crushes, or past stories about funny things that had happened to me, or just things in general that strongly indicated that I was queer. Or I'd have my identity just sort of folded into the sentence (As a bi person, ...., etc.) I didn't really have many "formal" (as in, sit down and have a conversation) coming out moments. That was the right choice for me, but it's not the right choice for everyone.