1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Femme AF- Help me please

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Faybee, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Faybee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok,

So I have myself in a pickle. A MASSIVE pickle.
    I'm hella gay, but I'm in a 'straight relationship'. I've been with my boyfriend for three years and we don't have sex, like i'm 95% sure we're both gay. I've been trying to break up with him for a while because we're basically just friends, but each time he gets really upset and panicked.

How do I end this and be happy for myself without causing him pain? I have no romantic attachment to this guy and I don't know how to process.

Thanks,

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Outright ask him? Either he's clinging to you in a macho sense and doesn't want to be without a girlfriend literally, or is like you said, scared for the same reason but actually gay. If you are sure, then my suggestion is just go for it.

Also, if he isn't gay, just outright tell him your story. Frankly you need to break it off one way or another for your sake.

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You need to break things off regardless of how he feels about it. You should be honest why though. He might not know you are gay. But don't stay with him out of guilt that he'll be upset. That's just a part of life.

4. LittleMouse

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As said above, you need to end the relationship. Carrying on will not be healthy for either of you, regardless of orientation. I know creativemind and Kasey have said you should be honest and that would be best, but if you don't feel safe coming out or if you aren't ready, don't. When I ended my relationship with my ex I never actually told him I was gay. I felt horrrndous about it but I hadn't accepted myself and I wasn't ready to tell anyone, let alone him. (I was in denial, I had been trying to convince myself I also liked guys since I knew I liked girls). It ended on good terms though. You've said it feels more like you are friends. Maybe say that? You need to be clear that you don't want the relationship to progress though, you might need to be quite firm. I guess it also depends on your age, a simpler explanation will likely be ok if you're relatively young.

5. Kaden216

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, this is pretty similar to my story. My ex-husband (now roommate) realized that he was gay after he started falling for a guy (now his boyfriend). I'm bisexual but tend to lean more towards women. We'd been having intimate relations maybe once a month leading up to him meeting his boyfriend, mostly because he wasn't attracted to me (which I knew going into the relationship--he thought he was asexual at the time).

We decided it would be best for both of us if we broke up. However, we're still important friends and supports to each other almost a year after our initial break-up. There were a lot of growing pains associated with setting new boundaries with each other, but overall, we still respect and love each other as family members. We talk things out when needed, we get annoyed at each other (as roommates do), we hang out together, and we enjoy each other's company--just in a slightly different way, now. :icon_wink

So, I guess I would say that it's best to talk things out and be honest about what you need. It's definitely painful at first to shake things up after such a long time (we had been together for 5 years when we broke up), but it's necessary, and things will smooth out over time. Personally, I'm going to start seeing a counselor because although I've made progress towards accepting this break-up, I still think I need a little extra support to process through it. But, that's just me. :slight_smile: The first step is explaining how you feel. Actually, the nice thing about being gay is that it's not really that you "don't like" the other person, you're just not attracted to them because they aren't your preferred gender/sex. :lol: Made things easier on me, that's for sure!

6. Faybee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks everyone! You've all been so awesome.

I have a bit more context that may help (it's going to make me seem really shitty - but it's confessing time)

So I've been with women before, but it's always just been in a 'hook-up' sense because I guess I didn't want to accept myself. So like I said, I have a really strong emotional bond with this guy, so he suggested that we try being poly (have an emotional relationship with him and a sexual relationship with someone else). So basically, I fell in love with a girl at my work (who turned out to have a secret drug problem "...") and I left him for a few months buttttttt I got really scared and I left and went back to him.

This is where it gets shitty.

I went back to him because he's doing stuff in school and making something out of his life and I'm so scared of coming out.

So, we don't have sex. We have awkward kisses like 14 year-olds on the cheek (I'm 23) and I pretend like I'm okay with it.

Sorry for this trainwreck of a post.

7. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We're not going to judge you for what you've been doing. I understand how scary it is to be out in your situation.

All you can do is change the outcome for the present and future.

And what I can tell you is that right now, you need to be out. You need to stop going back to him and hoping something will change, because it won't. You're gay and you're not happy with him. Living a lie will not help you in the long run, so It's time to be honest with yourself!

I'm not sure if a poly relationship is going to fix the situation if you aren't really attracted to him. It's better off you just stay friends and focus on being with someone you like.

8. LittleMouse

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but after your last post I'm wondering if you've truly accepted yourself yet? It's not easy but i think it's incredibly important.

9. Faybee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Pretty accurate. I tried to come out in highschool (2010ish) and actually had a friend stop talking to me. I guess im still messed up and ashamed over my sexuality

10. LittleMouse

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you need to learn to accept yourself before you'll be in a position to comfortably come out. Accepting yourself isn't easy and can take a long time (it certainly did for me) but it honestly is so worth it. I am now in a position where I see coming out as something I will do when the time is right but when I was still ashamed and not accepting myself I just didn't see how I would ever tell anyone.

11. FaeDivine

Out Status:
    A few people
    To me it seems like you trying to do the groundwork to open yourself up to new experiences and part of that may come from pushing yourself to be alone. When in a relationship it's great to be able to rely on your partner but it does stunt personal growth especially if you are becoming or blossoming into a self that doesn't reflect how you were on an outward level at the start of your relationship.