1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as genderqueer

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by repressed, Dec 25, 2016.

1. repressed

I really want to come out to my parents about being genderqueer. I have tried to talk to my mom about not being comfortable in my own body before but she completely shut me down and wouldn't let me talk about it. I came out as lesbian to her already so she probably thinks that I'm just a tomboy or something. She was totally accepting of me being gay but she wants me to stay her little girl and I don't know how to make her understand that I'm not. My mom also said that she doesn't understand why I have to change the way I dress and express myself. How do I explain being trans genderqueer to my parents. Please help with advise or your own experience thanks.

2. i am just me

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I am not out to my parents as nonbinary myself, I might not be the best person to give you advice. However, what I'm planning to do is tell them without using too many labels. I'll also give them some resources so they have time to get used to the idea and can realize that it's a real thing. If you have siblings you're close to, you could try telling them first. They might help you coming out to your parents afterwards. Probably, the key is persistence. Just go ahead dressing the way you want to and don't let anyone get you down. I wish you all the best with coming out.

3. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Our situation sounds exactly the same. I also told my mom that I was gay, and she was fully accepting, but does not understand why I do not want to be feminine. She constantly pushes me to be more feminine, trying to get me to wear dresses, and to buy a purse as I get older, despite my protests. She just sees me as a tomboy who likes girls. I've gotten to the point where I don't care if my mom knows my gender identity or not. I guess being non-binary can help with that, since IDGAF about my pronouns, but I have used my own resources to express myself in different ways. It took several months, but I managed to convince my mom to let me cut my hair short. I ordered a few binders from Amazon, which aren't great but work. Basically, I have resorted to being open with my gender everywhere except with my family and adults with close relationships with my parents. It can get extremely frustrating, but it gets easier to handle when you find ways to express yourself that your parents kind of look past.