1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rpj1209, Dec 27, 2016.

1. rpj1209

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I need some advice. I have told my mom's side of the family about my boyfriend but I just can't bring myself to tell my dad's side. I know they will not approve so I keep chickening out in person when I try to tell them. I have thought about just telling them over text message or a note. Opinions?

2. SuperSticky

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I feel like if they are your family you should probably come out to them in person, but only if you're ready. If you are too scared the best way of telling them would be over text messages. Also you shouldn't worry. They are your family, so they would eventually accept you. If not then you still have your mum's side of the family with you.

3. Curiousfox

Well I'm sorry I've no advice but I know where you coming I'm from Virginia and I'm terrified my family might kill me literally! My dads a complete racist who judges everyone. My mom though is bisexual but her mouth is big so it will fall to his ears :icon_sad:

4. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it would be acceptable to come out to them with a note, so long as you hand it to them in person to show that you don't mean to hide from them anymore. Loads of people come out to their family through notes, because it is be much easier to articulate thoughts through writing. Coming out by text is only really appropriate when you have no chance of meeting them in person or phoning them, otherwise it may come across as inconsiderate. If you want the best response from your family, it's advisable to minimise the risk of them taking offence from your actions.

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey rpj1209,

If/when you Come Out to anyone is always your choice and you should only do so if you are comfortable doing so. How you Come Out to anyone is likewise your choice. If you feel comfortable with the idea of Coming Out to your Dad and his side of the family, but are expecting a negative reaction, there is no reason not to use a note or a text message to inform them. One other consideration in this case, however, might be this: is it possible that your Dad and/or his side of the family may take a text message or note that a 'sick joke' and not think that you are being serious? The main reason that I, personally, prefer to Come Out my close friends and family either in person or by phone is so that I can gauge their immediate reactions and respond if they don't think I'm serious or they are confused about what I am telling them.

Just some thoughts.:slight_smile:

6. iliketolift1

A laundry room. Pretty happy here. I think...
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with typicalguy on giving a note. By giving them a note you are able to get out everything you want to say without the chance of being interrupted etc. Usually with homophobic family they will chime in while you are talking with remarks that usually end in an argument. This perhaps could leave them feeling even more negatively about you and your boyfriend. By giving them space before talking face to face you will allow them time to think rationally rather than acting out in anger or shock about the news. So I would go with a letter, but thats just my two cents.