1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by aceabegq, Jan 1, 2017.

1. aceabegq

Out Status:
    A few people
    For context, the fact that im bi isnt the issue but the fact im a guy is.

My old school a lot of people were visibly/verbally queer and generally positive about sexuality queerness but not so keen on gender queerness.
    At my new school, there are no visible/verbally queer person. I seem to be the only one to have verbally said that i'm Bi. There is no support within the school for LGBT students.

Im half out to one parent. The other has said they wouldnt accept me as a guy, and for a long time wouldnt agree i had a GF. [though they recently been saying "you look like a young man" so idk] Not sure if I should come out to them as well.

This year im planning to discuss top surgery and to (possibly) start taking T.

Idk if I should just let it happen and then just explain when someone asks - or come out more publicly.

This a big year for me in terms of education (final tests ect) and im aware i should be planning for my future/tests but:
    • any applications for jobs would have Female on the applications. its upsetting and id probably be uncomfortable in jobs ect
    • idk how being trans would affect me in the future at all?? i live in the UK so idk what new rules will be with our government.

Basically - if anyone could give me advice on how to come out in this situation / more importantly if anyone knows what being trans will be like from work or such please tell me. Cant live like this anymore ahh.

A

---------- Post added 1st Jan 2017 at 08:10 PM ----------

* idk how to edit so: ive been a guy for three years [not out] and do pass

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From a work perspective you will have protected characteristics, covered by the Equality Act 2010. Employers cannot discriminate against you on the grounds of gender or gender reassignment and I cannot foresee any appetite amongst the main political parties in the UK to change to law or any of its protections. If anything, they will be enhanced.

For more information about the terms of the UK Equality Act and how it relates to employment for trans people, visit the Equality and Human Rights Commission website: https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en

The decision to come out at school and raise awareness of gender and gender equality issues can only be made by you. How do you feel about it? Do you feel strong enough and resilient enough to put yourself forward? If the answer to these questions is yes, go for it! To help you address this issue well, I would encourage you to visit these websites for more information:
    Stonewall Education Resources
    Young Stonewall

Hope all of this helps.