1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared of coming out to my dad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sonic1337111, Jan 6, 2017.

1. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The reason why i am scared of coming out as BI to my dad is because he is a massive Christian and believes that anything related to LGBT is a sin and he also thinks it's a choice when it's not and i have a feeling that he'll try to disown me like he did with my older brother when he came out as gay but my mum and the rest of the family supports me i just don't know weather to come out to him or not but i'm mostly leaning on the not side.

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey sonic1337111,

You should only Come Out to anyone if/when you are comfortable doing so and there is no risk to yourself. It sounds like you are very concerned that your Dad might disown you and with the example of your older brother that you stated, it seems very likely. At a minimum, you may want to consider waiting to Come Out to him only after you are out on your own and are no longer reliant on him - assuming you aren't already out on your own.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide.

Just some thoughts.:slight_smile:

3. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I completely agree with Quantum. Coming out to your dad may cause you much more harm than good, and in such cases there is no point in coming out. It's enough that the rest of your family's supportive, in my opinion.

4. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This might be one of those cases where there is no point also thanks for the support you two if i knew you both in real life i'd hug you and kiss you (if it would be OK with you)

5. WarmEmbrace

I only came out to my dad at a very late age, when i was totally independent. During my teen years I was too terrified of him. If your gut feeling tells you it is a super super BAD idea, it probably is. :slight_smile: