1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making eye contact with another man

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by peter5890, Jan 11, 2017.

1. peter5890

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am bi, and in the closet, but I am considering coming out at some point soon, and I have recently starting flirting with guys. I've heard about a special "gay eye contact," but I'm not sure what this is, in practice. How do I flirt with a guy who I suspect is gay and get my intentions across?

I strongly suspect the guy who I have a crush on is gay, but if he is, he is probably in the closet too, so I want to be careful about how I approach flirting with him.

2. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is a fascinating topic since body language and eye contact are things that some closeted men do without conscious realization. For this reason, you could meet someone that is not even consciously aware of being gay or bi, and this could actually be risky.

I think eye contact that is prolonged, frequent, or unlikely probably indicates interest. For example, if they don't know you, they look at you for more than a glance, and look back at you when they think you can't see them - these are potential signs of interest. Also, if you look at them and they suddenly look away this can be a sign. Also look for changes in their posture and/or voice when you're around.

Patrick

3. canonymous

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have also seen through experience that closeted and/or bisexual men make eye contact without necessarily realizing it, so be careful.

Since you're so new to this whole thing, I would recommend keeping your flirting to gay events, bars, etc. At least you know that everyone there is gay, and it will help you make friends and get comfortable being in the community as well.

Best of luck!