1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Set a tentative date to come out to the kids

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cailan, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We're going to be coming out to the kids (adults, age 26, 24, 19) on Sunday, Jan 21. This part should be relatively easy because we raised them all to accept LGBT and each has LGBT friends. The oldest is "high functioning autistic" meaning high intelligence, low social and coping abilities. It may take him a while to process this, but we believe both he and the others will not be too upset after the initial shock.

Why this date? My MIL is coming to live with us this weekend, due to her age and medical issues. She's liberal and relatively open-minded, but also very, very Mormon. We chose Sunday because she'll be out of the house at church so we can do this privately with the kids.

My MIL will be next, an event at which I think being a "fly on the wall" would be very interesting. We have no idea where her Mormonism will meet her liberalism on this, and I have never heard her speak of trans in any way before. I have no clue what her views are personally vs politically. We know she may decide she can't stay with us, especially because my husband plans to start transitioning asap, and I will be spending time as a male, at least at home.

My mom (in another state) will be after that, which will be unique. She's autistic herself (similar to my son) and is the weakest person I know. I have absolutely no idea how she will react.

As for the rest of our extended families, who knows. We may never tell them. We never see any of them, so I'm not sure it matters. Both of us have religious bigots in our families who I'm sure will either freak and reject or love and "pray for us."