1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should i come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Iamsolo, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Iamsolo

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So pretty much, im the smallest and probably one of the weakest in my school, coming out as gay may in fact get me beat up, one other person has came out of the closet but they were a girl and they were fine. I'm worried peoples parents will judge me, and while we're all changing i'll get targeted. I would consider myself to be decently popular and friends with most people in my class and others. I have in fact faked being gay to this group of girls and they were entirely fine with it, and they still think im gay to this day, but im worried about the group of boys, they're probably not homophobic but there's that small chance that worries me, should i come out or no? (btw my parents dont mind.)

TL;DR: Worried that I'll get bullied while changing and just getting judged in general, students probably not homophobic but im still worried about it, what should I do?

2. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When considering coming out, you need to think realistically rather than let your fears get ahead of you. What is your environment like in your school? How do they feel about the LGBT community? It seems that it's not too bad amongst the girls, but do you have any idea about the boys? A good way to find out is to bring up a subject related to it, eg. a celebrity who is openly gay, ask for their opinions and such. If they don't appear to mind and even support it, then you'll likely be in the clear to come out without getting judged or bullied too much. But if they react negatively then you may be better off keeping your sexuality to yourself, at least for the time being.

Judgement is ultimately inevitable in schools and you can only deal with it yourself, unless it becomes too violent or abusive. If you're worried about your safety, you might want to consider taking up a combat sport of some sort.