1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"So when are you coming out to your parents?"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Canterpiece, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    -Is a question I've been getting a lot recently from some of my friends that I'm out to.

They've been asking that a lot lately. I'm out to two of my close friends, one was particularly surprised when it was revealed in a conversation that I'm not out to my parents. Their reasoning being that their parents would be the first people they'd want to tell in that situation (they're straight btw) which is a bit odd considering his parents are quite homophobic (from what I've heard), but I think he was talking in more general terms.

My other friend keeps asking me when I'm gonna tell them, each time I tell them that I'm getting around to it. I wish she'd stop asking that. :dry:

To me, it's interesting that the people I've come out to tend to either assume I've already come out to my parents, or that's the first thing they ask. Often referring to it as "fully out". Usually it's "So your parents too it well then?" or "Are you out to your parents?". It tends to be the first question people ask.

I know I play somewhat of a dangerous game, I'm fairly out at College and wear a rainbow bracelet now and again (Still get hit on by dudes though, despite the small reputation I have in my group- I don't yell it, but if you bring it up I won't deny it). There was a homework we had to do for English, where we had to make a faking dating profile- including saying whether you were looking for a man or a woman, after some debating with myself I decided to be honest on it. Although we do it for homework, my parents don't usually see my English work, so I've only come out to my English class indirectly (we have to upload our homework to a shared server- one everyone in the class can see).

We've also got a discussion in English coming up where we're gonna talk about experiences with prejudice, and since one of my close friends (who is also in my English) knows about some of the things people have done to me due to my orientation, they think I'm gonna bring that up, but I'm not sure what I feel comfortable talking about, and what I don't just yet. I just hope he doesn't think I'm ashamed or something, it's just difficult to talk about. Maybe I'll talk instead about people being mean for me for having blonde hair, or that one sexist teacher I had. I don't know. Hopefully it'll just be quickfire questions, nothing too personal.

I suppose in a way I feel like I'm living a double life, when I get in that College building I can just slip on that rainbow bracelet (which my parents don't even know about- I made it) and make chit-chat with my friends, and I know I can talk about crushes I've had when the subject comes up. I can log on here, and live a life my parents are unaware of, even if it does get annoying having to close this tab whenever my sister enters the room (she did catch me on here one time though- not sure if she fully saw or realised what I was on though- she didn't say anything about it).

Although I do wanna come out to my parents one day, it gets annoying- my friends keep bugging me about it and all. I just...I'm not sure when or if I'll ever do it. I know they'd be supportive ( I can imagine them saying something like- "That's fine, just don't be one of those butch ones/ date a butch" since my mum doesn't like butch women much).

Do you ever get your friends bugging you about this? How do you respond to when they ask when you will come out? Usually I say I'm getting around to it or it hasn't really come up, something like that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Not really any of their business anyway, idk why my friends are so interested in this.

This isn't really an asking for advice thread, more a "this is on my mind, can anyone relate?" thread. I wasn't sure where else to put this, sorry. :icon_redf

---------- Post added 13th Jan 2017 at 01:20 AM ----------

*took it well, not too.

2. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Soon, my new years resolution is to come out. I was thinking of writing a long email and sending it on October 11 as insurance.