1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents, Family.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Akawaii, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Akawaii

Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, hello everyone. I'm still a newbie and I'm typing on my phone, so please forgive me if I am wrong! :lol: But recently, I've been frustrated and I just really need someone to help me out.

So let me explain my whole story. I'm 13 and I know that's pretty young to be sure of of my sexuality, but looking back, I for sure know that there were some parts of my childhood which weren't necessarily straight. For example, I loved girl toys, displayed feminine behavior at some points, and even played as a female character. Coming from a Filipino, Catholic family, they didn't really see it as worrisome as it may have just been play. Whenever there was a teenage guy at our family parties, I would try to get their attention, and I felt really nervous around them. With girls I've never felt uncomfortable.

Recently over the summer, I started to tell myself that yes, I wasn't straight! I came out to my whole class and they were all supportive- which I'm happy about. I also came out to a few others as well. But sadly, coming out to my family was scary. I told my mom about it and at first she was supportive- smiling even, yet, the next day- she goes on saying that I was wrong and that it was just a phase. In 24 hours, her opinion totally changed. I told my sister who "supports" me now but I can tell how it's fake. I also told my father who said that it's probably a phase and that I'm too young to know.

My older cousins, both girls, know of my orientation and are supportive. Sadly, my family thinks of them as trashy and wrong so all my life growing up, I was told to stay away from them. I've secretly been messaging older cousin- and just straight up ranting about how my mother always tries to change me. It makes me so sad how there was this one time when I wanted to have a face mask and so many other things as well, but my mom just says "Oh no! You might turn gay!" Like, how does she not understand how hurt I am when I just told her already. She expects me to change, to become straight, and wants to forget I ever told her anything?

My cousins noticed my behavior was different and already knew I wasn't straight- but my parents deny that it's a sign- they think it's normal for me and that I'm going to be straight! What's sadder is that my mom has gay friends but can't come to terms with the possibility of her own son not being straight. I found out that over the summer, my parents talked with my cousin and told her "Please lead our son in the "right path"." Even now I can't help but look at them differently. I'm sorry if this was a long post but I just really need someone to help me out. Thank you!:thumbsup: