1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Letter to Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Snow, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm finally going to do it. Unfortunately I don't have the balls to do it in person, so I want to write a nice email to my Mum and Dad, but I don't know how to do it. This is all I have...

Dear Mum and Dad,

I’m just going to put it bluntly…I’m gay.
    This may or may not come as a shock to you.

Thanks all who replies.

2. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I honestly think writing a letter is the best way to come out. It gives you time to think about what you want to say without being overcome with emotion and also will give your parents a chance to digest everything and think rationally before responding. I don't think it's a cowardly approach at all.

As for the letter itself, nobody can tell you what to write as it's a very personal thing and depends on how you're feeling about everything and what you're trying to accomplish. I know I have a tendency to be long-winded when I write, but I'd probably explain that I'm sure of this, that I'm the same person I've always been, and that I just want to find somebody who can make me happy. I'd make sure they know that being gay is not a negative thing to me and the only thing I could ask of my parents is that they treat me the same.

Whatever you end up writing, good luck! I wish I had the balls to do what you're going to do. :slight_smile: