1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to grandparents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MewDew, Jan 15, 2017.

1. MewDew

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My grandparents will be visiting me next weekend and I don't know how to come out to them. They are conservative Christians and I have no idea what their stance on the LGBTQ+ community is. Politics aren't the kind of thing I talk to with my grandparents. I know that they love me and I think that they will be okay with it, but all of the nagging "what-ifs" are making me really nervous. Any advice?

2. i am just me

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are your parents supportive? If they are, you could talk to your grandparents while your parents are in the room as well. That way, your grandparents will know that the rest of your family supports you and maybe take what you are saying more serious (e.g. be less likely to say it's "just a phase" or something like that.)

Of course, if you want to talk to them privately, that's also fine. If you're not sure about their opinion on LGBTQ+ topics yet and you don't want to come out straight away, you could start the conversation by telling them about "a friend" who's bi or mention some LGBTQ+ topic from the media.

I hope everything goes well and wish you all the best for coming out!

3. MewDew

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much for your advice!