1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I do it

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Noodle72, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Noodle72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok, so I'm transgender.
    I'm out to my friends, and my current obstacle is coming out to my parents.
    I've decided to come out to my dad first, as he seems like he'd be more accepting than my mom.
    I know I'll be accepted, but I'm still really scared and that's probably a result of my anxiety which is also what rules out some coming out options: anything face to face, whether I'm speaking with words or trying to hand him a letter with my gender identity on it.

basically, I'm stuck.

I need a good coming out method, and I've thought about sending an email, but how do I find out which of his email addresses he's more likely to check?

and since my parents are divorced, do I send it while I'm at his house so he can talk to me right away, or do I send it while I'm at my mom's house so I can just wait for an email back and then talk more about it the next time I see him within the next few days?

anyone have any advice? or other coming out methods I might be able to attempt?
    :help:

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Noodle72,

I'm not transgender, but I am a dad. I have 2 kids and you're in between their ages.

If my child came out to me, whether gender or sexuality, I would want my child to be there in person, even if I was reading a letter with you nearby. To have to wait days to speak to you face-to-face would be hard.

That assumes, of course, that you truly believe he'll be accepting. Has he expressed before that he is in any way supportive of LGBT, especially gender issues?

Ultimately, I suggest that you follow what your gut tells you to do. I just wanted to give you one father's perspective.

Take care. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

3. PrinceVegeta

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the gentleman above. Do it when he could encounter you and talk to you about it in person. I am no parent, but if I ever had kids, I would want to be able to talk to my child right away if I found out such a huge thing in their life.

4. deepwaters7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel the same way as you, I'm pretty sure I'd be accepted, yet I just am too scared to do so. I, too, have anxiety and it does make it hard. Whenever I think about it, it's always face to face or me nearby and, though it may be easier, e-mail would not be the best way