1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out interview?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Maddy, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been talking lately to a woman who's organising a DVD about coming out, with interviews from LGBT people about how coming out went for them, what advice they'd give, that sort of thing. I'm really interested in taking part - I'd love for my experience to be able to help people in some way - but I want to go into primary school teaching, and my mum thinks that this might make schools not want to hire me. It won't exactly be prime-time television, the DVD will just be sent to schools, libraries and queer youth groups, as far as I know. What are your thoughts? I'm out to 95% of people, but would being on record talking about being gay hamper my chances of working as a teacher?

2. Greggers

Honestly, ANY place that would not hire me because im gay does not deserve to hire me.

If doing this video meant that any homophobic organizations would never hire me, id JUMP at the chance! No need to find out their views on homosexuality if they do it for you :slight_smile:

But i dont think that will be the case. It may come up to bite you in the ass some day, as in outing you to people who dont know your gay, but i dont think thats a problem for my Maddy :slight_smile:

Your advice is pricelss Maddy. GET IT into this video. Think of how many trouble youth you might help by doing it! Im so proud of you for even thinking of doing it as it is :slight_smile:

3. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

If you were in the US i would say it might be a problem, but not anywhere in Australia.

Its not like its going to be a high profile dvd.

I say go for it, and don't look back!

4. Lychee

I don't think this will be a problem, because at primary school level they don't really show many DVD's relating to sexuality (or at least, they didn't while I was there) so the chances are no one will ever find out about it.

However, just make sure that you're fine with the video being shown to students for 20-30 years to come. We studied sexuality in one of our classes and one of our videos was from '87 xD

But I reckon it sounds like a good opportunity. It could show people that you're dedicated to helping others.

Plus, like Greg said, who wants to work in a homophobic place anyway?

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm doing it :slight_smile: If all goes to plan, it'll happen on the 25th.

6. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Make sure you upload a copy for us all to watch :wink:

7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just did it :grin: I had to postpone it for a week, but the interview was this afternoon.

8. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

And it will be uploaded when?:icon_bigg

9. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ Not for a while, I hate to say :frowning2: I babbled on a bit, I may have sounded like a total idiot in places.