1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I sorta have a plan?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Noodle72, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Noodle72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This weekend, I'm hopefully gonna come out to my dad. Or at least the week after it.
    It'll happen soon.
    I'm thinking of sending him an email so I don't have to do it face to face. It might be chickening out, but at least I'm telling him.
    I'll do it when I'm at his house, and I'll send the email and tell him to check his email, then go to my room and stay there while he's reading (and probably die to myself and document my emotions to my best friend).
    The email I wrote goes like this: (though I might tweak it for the final version)

Dad,

I actually have no idea where to start with this.
    There's something about myself that I've wanted to tell you. Something that's hard to say, but it's not a bad thing.
    Something that I've been keeping to myself, only have told a few friends, and I want to tell my family members too.
    Something that, while the change will be good, will bring a huge change to my life that I don't know if I'm ready for. But I guess I have to be ready for it, because I just need to tell you.
    I probably shouldn't drag this on for any longer, so I'll just go ahead and say it.

I'm transgender.
    I've known for over a year now, though questioned it at times, and while I'm still a fairly feminine person, I am a boy.
    I wanted to tell you in an email so that I could say everything I wanted to without being too nervous or shy to say it.
    I know that you're accepting of transgender people but might have some questions for me, so we can talk after this.

First, though, I would like you to help me tell other family members.
    Maybe not right away, but I'd like to be mostly open about it by the end of this year.
    I'm hoping to come out to mom next, though I don't know how I'll do that.
    But for now, I'm telling you.

As for what to call me now, I would like it if you could refer to me as your son, Evan.
    I'd like you to use male pronouns (he/him), but only to people that know I'm transgender.
    For example, if I have a friend over, then they will most likely know by the point I invite them over, so if you are talking to them and mentioning me, then refer to me as a he. Please.

Thank you for reading this, and when you're finished, please call me downstairs by my new name, or you can come up to talk to me if you want.
    I hope you're accepting. I know it'll take time to get used to this, it did for all my friends and even myself.
    Again, thank you for reading.

Your transgender son,
    Evan.

How does that sound? Is there anything I should add, take out, or change? Please give advice on whether this is a good plan or not, and how I should change it.
    Thank you friends (!)

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's all perfect and wonderfully written.

I wish you nothing but joy, Evan.

Peace to you and your family. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: