1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out over social media?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LeticiaTheLesbo, Jan 30, 2017.

1. LeticiaTheLesbo

Hey! I'm a 16 year old gay girl, out to some friends, some family, and just some random people at school. My sexuality isn't something that I feel the need to flaunt or show off, if my sexuality or something along those lines comes up in conversation I'll tell the person. I'm just wondering if I should also come out to everyone so to speak via social media. I would probably just post something on Instagram. I'm just wondering if I should really come out big time. I've been having some mental health struggles lately and I'm wondering if maybe some of it stems from feeling like I am still hiding.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

2. raviolii

if you want to come out to people in the whole, then social media is fine. however, if theres anyone you're close to and not out to, coming out to them personally is probably better. one thing with social media is that you have to be ready for homophobia, as then you can't really filter who finds out about your orientation.

3. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you feel that you want to do it and that you feel better after it, you should do it.

I would probably never do it, since I have some friends on social media to whom I'm actually not close anymore and where I think they might have something against me coming out.

But if it makes you happier you should do it ^^

4. elliephant

I think a lot of teenagers tend to come out on social media, it covers pretty much all the people you know in your daily life and I've been told it gives some people a sense of closure. Personally, its what I plan to do once I graduate. I would consider making your profile or post private though, because if a future client/employer who disagreed with your sexuality were to see it, it could cause problems for you down the road. So long as you are in a safe place with your immediate family and friends I don't think its a bad idea, necessarily. However, if your mental health struggles are not related to your hidden sexuality, having a possible onslaught of homophobia from social media may not be the healthiest thing for you.
    Best of luck, love! xx

5. Aanginator

Although I came out using Facebook and knowing that there's family and friends that still accepted me even though for being bisexaul. Before I did I know there was this one cousin that would be all over me due to claiming that he was "saved" then being like that he could use that as excuse to say whatever he wanted about anyone that's LGBT. The only thing that they don't know is I'm with someone [with the exception of my brother who's the only one that knows I am]. Knowing that when my boyfriend and I come out being together, probably be on social media like Facebook, that will be the challenge to know how they'll feel knowing who I'm with at that point.