1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kinda feeling bummed.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by starfish, Apr 12, 2009.

1. starfish

So it has been about 10 months since I moved to Austin. The past few months I have been going out and meeting new people. I made a lot of new friends. The thing is that while enjoy spending time with these people I have yet to make any meaningful friendships.

I'm sure it takes time, but it kind of sucks. Back in Dallas I was not very social and only had a few friends, but they were great friends. My closest friends I knew for over a decade. What I miss most the ability to have a meaningful intellectual conversation. I miss talking about politics, or religion, or science and the like.

Add to that my job has gone seriously downhill the past couple of month. It is just not intellectually stimulating anymore. I pretty much spend my days putting out fires and trying to keep the damn place from burning to the ground*.

All of this has me feeling that I traded quality for quantity. I am halfway considering moving back to Dallas when my lease is up this summer. I guess if I think about I am looking for friends in the wrong places. Maybe if I start hanging out with the nerdy intellectual types types again I find what I am looking for.

Any advice or suggestions?

*I'm speaking metaphorically. There are no actual fires.

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don’t get discouraged friendships can be easily build, but close friendships takes time…a lotta time. When I first moved to Orlando it took me months to even start going to meet people. After 3 years I met a friend and now is my best friend. I’ve built a circle of friends as well, but again it takes time.

:thumbsup:

3. starfish

Your right it does take time. I just miss it. I still talk to them on the phone, but it is just not the same.

Guess I'll just keep plugging along and trying to meet new people.

4. Bryan44

Thats the right attitude to have. It can be hard to branch out and meet new friends, but it will be worth it. And you will never know the new friendhships that you will have if you dont try. Just hang in there, and good luck.

5. Alex19

i agree with everyone else. just hang in there and things will get better.

6. Starshine16

Find an activity or a hobby that you really enjoy.Then you'll more than likely start to meet more people who at least share their interest in this hobby/activity that you are participating in.That is one thing in common right there.

7. starfish

I did some googleing and found there are 2 LGBT bowling leagues here in Austin. I sent a note to one of them to ask if they have an substitute spots left for the rest of the season. I currently bowl in a work league and I substitute there. Which is nice because I play with a different team each week and get to meet a lot of people.

Hopefully I'll hear back soon. I also hope the league has a fair amount of guys. I play basket ball with an LGBT group, but I am the only guy there. In fact that has been happening to me a lot lately.

I'm also thinking I really need to start exploring outside of LGBT groups. Time for me to rejoin the rest of the world.

8. Starshine16

That is great progress.I'll keep my fingers crossed that they have a substitute spot available for you.I do think that looking outside of the LGBT groups is a good idea.

9. starfish

So some friends are having a BBQ Saturday evening. I debating weather I want to go. I already told them yes, I don't know I just not feeling it. They are nice people and I usually have fun, but really it is just an excuse to drink beer and generally party. Don't know I think I've had my fill of that.

Guess the deciding factor will be the guy I met at a club last week. He said he would go with me. We have already tried to meet up twice and has rescheduled both times. Honestly I've pretty much written this one off.

I know what the root cause of these feeling are. I have lost my sense of purpose. My job usually makes up a lot of my sense of purpose, as it gives me something to work toward and improve. After the layoffs we've been in survival mode, and frankly I just don't give a damn about my job anymore. I am looking to replace that sense of purpose with people and it just don't work. Maybe I just need some time off to clear my head. Maybe my trip home next week will help with that.