1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Best' way to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dovahzul, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Dovahzul

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've spent about a year trying to figure out my gender, and it finally feels like found out. I plan on coming out to my parents about my gender within a month, but I have no idea how to do it.
    Coming out as bisexual to them was easy. I told them I wanted to get something off my chest one day after dinner, and then just told them. They reacted exactly the way I thought they would. I bit surprised, but very accepting. But this feels much scarier. Do you have any advice on things like...
    ... important things to tell them?
    ... writing a letter or telling them in person?
    ... when to do it?
    ... basically everything on coming out. I'm quite lost.

Thanks,
    Dovahzul

2. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    You know how when you think about it, you get more scared and more tense, your mind starts to form all the "but if i do, this will for sure happen" and such? yeah thats the problem, overthinking.

can you tell yourself? outloud, where no-one can hear you (so its safe to do without exposing yourself) if you can do that then that would show that your comfortable, if you can't, try building up to it.

im cisgender (biologically male and inside male) but i am gay, and i can't say the word "gay" or anything connected to it outloud, even to myself. now how i came out to my parents was that i was sat in my mothers car, she was dropping me off for sixth form (A levels) at my local college. time was short, but i really wanted to do it AND i was being a big coward by timing it at that point because she was going to my grandmothers literally later that day and wouldn't be back till the monday and my dad was at work all that time too (this was a thursday). the time was getting way too short for me, i had to get out of the car in literally a minute or i was going to be really late for class. so I decided, you know what? im not gonna think about it, at all, no thoughts, just saying it without letting anything get to me. and i did it, i said it. i almost threw up afterwards but i still did it, i did however allow my mother to tell my dad and my grandmother (as i could NOT do that again haha).

but the thing im taking from that experience, which is what i offer here as advice, is that thinking about what your going to say, (at the time when you plan to say it) will only obstruct you, you need to clear your mind of all thoughts, and just say it. so your mind can't catastrophise it, it can't make it seem like the end of the world if you dont let it even think about it.

#2 europeanguy, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017