1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AlexPatrickMorrissey, Apr 12, 2009.

1. OK, so I am absolutely positive that I am gay and I want to stop hiding from it. I know that my family won't have a problem with it, but I still feel scared to tell them. I know that they won't get mad at me, but I am just so nervous about it. I really want to stop being such a little bitch about it, but I just can't. Can anyone give me any advice? I will be forever indebted to you if you help me with this.

2. Coldflame

First of all, you're not a "little bitch". It's a very hard and scary thing to do, even when you are confident of the positive outcome. The first thing you need to do is make sure YOU are comfortable with it. Can you say you are gay out loud even with no one around? Try practicing in front of a mirror. Maybe take some time for personal reflection. No sense rushing into things, especially with something this big.

3. Thank you for being so kind to me. I think I will try that later. Is there anything else I should know?

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're definitely not a bitch or anything along those lines - coming out is hard, and being scared to do so is absolutely normal.
    I agree with practicing what you want to say - do some writing, or as Coldflame said, practice in front of the mirror. If you feel like you'll freak out or mess it up trying to talk out loud, a letter could be a really good idea, it'll mean you can say everything you want to say without getting emotional and forgetting things, and you can make as many drafts as you like.

5. Coldflame

Maybe you should think about who you want to come out to first, if you are in fact at this point. Is there anyone you know you want to tell right away? anyone you don't want to know? Are you thinking just parents at this point? Maybe you should also be thinking about how you will come out to them. If you aren't completely comfortable with saying it out loud, you could write them a letter or something to that effect. Some of the other ECers here have some great advice on writing a letter if that's the route you choose.

6. aerwolfen

there are many ways to come out,people have stated to write a letter to your family,or even doing a video of yourself in private stating your feeling and declaring your sexuality and having your family watch it all together,or one by one,you already know in your heart your family will be ok with it,your trouble is convincing yourself to come forward,but its eating you up inside hiding this secret,you will get the nerve,perhaps picking up the phone when others are in the room pretending your talking with a buddy about how happy you are that you have come out of the closet and you are declaring your gay to fake person on the other end knowing that family members are listening,its a way to come out indirectly ,easing the pressure of confrontation,we all have great idea's but it will always still come from you to have the courage to be true to yourself,i wish the very best on what ever decision you make accepting your true calling in life is half the battle,your almost to the end and will require all your inner strength conquer your fear.best of luck from one gay guy to another,welcome to the club,you will be mailed the secret hand shake in three weeks,.

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No matter how sure you are that the people in your life will react positively to your coming out party, there is always that little voice in the back of your head that says things might go badly. Don’t hate that little voice he’s just trying to watch out for you. You are not a little bitch you’re human. Sorry to ask but it’s true, we humans are a jittery bunch. We want to be part of the pack.
    I’m in the same boat as you. I just came out to myself and now I want to tell my friends, but I haven’t yet. Lexington gave me some advice that I took to heart. Tell one or two people first. Then a few more. Then a few more.

(&&&)

8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You're welcome to try what I did - I knew I would choke up if I tried to say it out loud, but a letter seemed to impersonal even if I sat there while they read it, so I met halfway. I took a sketchpad and wrote a little trivia piece about myself on each page, starting with simple things and building up to more serious secrets. On the last two pages I wrote "and..." and "I'm gay". That night I sat down with my mom and didn't say a word, just held the sketchpad up and flipped slowly through the pages until I hit the last one. That way I would control exactly when she found out and could see her reaction in person, but I didn't have to say it out loud.