1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How and When To Come Out? Should I?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dallaswashere, Feb 8, 2017.

1. dallaswashere

My name (chosen) is Dallas, and I'm a sophomore in a small conservative school in a very conservative state. I know that some people in this school are accepting, but others, including my English teacher, aren't and have even made fun of my identity (not knowing that I identify as that.) Basically, I want to come out, but I don't want my English teacher to know and of course if I come out AND start going by Dallas, she will and I know that she'll still call me by my birth name. Plus, I absolutely do not want my mom to find out because she's already voiced her negative opinion on gender identity. I've changed my pronouns on Instagram to she/they (not completely out on pronouns either,) but I haven't officially come out and I haven't even started coming out as genderfluid. I kind of want to, but I'm a bit nervous and if I did, I'm not sure that I would start using my preferred name until college (or even then, people I know are gonna go to the college I plan on going to as well.) In the case that I did come out, should I come out just as genderfluid or with my name as well? Should I come out at all? I'm uncertain.

2. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think you should wait to come out. If you can handle hiding your sexuality, then that may be a good solution. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide whether or not you'll come out. If you think you can handle a negative reaction from anyone, you should at least come out to those people. You said you live in a conservative state, which makes things hard. Also, you stated that there were some accepting people at your school. You could come out to them and tell them what you wrote here. When you are on your own, then that may be the best time to come out.

Keep your head up.

I hope I helped.

3. dallaswashere

Yeah, I probably will. I'm comfortable with people knowing that I'm not straight, but there are certain people who I don't want to know about my gender, and probably never will tell. I'm probably just gonna wait until college. I have never been known for my patience, though.