1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Society Group

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bob4carl09, Apr 13, 2009.

1. bob4carl09

bob4carl09 Guest

So a couple of people here have suggested that I try meeting some gay people as part of the whole 'coming out' process, and I am aware that my college has a LGBT Society which does some kind of weekly group. I'm a bit unsure about approaching them.

Now I figure most groups are gonna be different, but I was wondering about other peoples' experiences with these kinds of groups. What sort of things tend to happen? All I can think of (cliche and stupid I know) is like an AA meeting, where we sit in a circle and take turns to stand and say "Hi, I'm Bob, and I'm a homosexual" :lol:

But really, what goes on at these things?

2. Apocalypte

At my college's LGBT society, the main way to get to know people is at the coffee mornings. Free coffee, free biscuits, say as much or as little as you want and get to know people. The society also organises nights out, and some lectures and workshops.

The workshops would probably be the closest to your perception - one of the workshops this year was a workshop on coming out where we did all sit around and discuss our experiences of coming out to friends/family, however others would be totally different - the Queer Theory workshop was more similar to a sociology tutorial than anything else.

Of course, going to events for the first time can be a little nervewracking, but you'll relax into it quickly :slight_smile:

3. Jim1454

Really, would that be so bad? It's not like anyone would be surprised. :icon_wink

However, I don't think that's what would happen. I've only been to a couple of 'Gay Fathers of Toronto' meetings, and I was made to feel very comfortable. I didn't feel pressured to say anything, although in the end I did talk about my situation when I was there.

It's just a very healthy and supportive way to get engaged in the LGBT community.

4. riddlerno1

Ive been to a social group in london and it really wasnt as nerve wracking as youd expect. What they had were set topics which were discussed. It was more like a chat really and no-one was pressured to saying anything they didnt want to. I found for me it really helped me with this whole process.

5. Coldflame

I've went to a few of my universities LGBT discussion groups. Basically, what happened is we ate pizza and every week discussed a different topic, such as gay culture, the "gaydar", or stories of asking people out (usually with bad/funny outcomes). Personally it isn't quite my thing because most of the people that attended were not in my age group and all of them were already completely out of the closet, leaving me feeling kind of left behind and left out. It's worth checking out for sure. It's probably different everywhere.

6. Apocalypte

The age group thing was actually a bit of an issue for me too this year (returning to university after some time out), from the other direction. I was 5-6 years older than a lot of the people who were at the events and there is a bit of a disconnect there.

7. bob4carl09

bob4carl09 Guest

See that's a bit of a concern, cus I'm 3 years late making it to college, and a lot of the time little things make me feel very aware that I'm 22, not some 18 year old always going out and partying. I'm not sure I'd be able to relate to anyone, plus I'm kinda in a weird place at the moment where my mood can be set off by the most ridiculously small things, and I think that seeing a group of people years younger than me who are out and happy and living their lives would have a bad effect on me. Makes me think maybe I'm not quite ready for this kinda thing just yet.

8. Coldflame

For me it was the fact that I was too young! most of the people were 21 plus, and I was only 18! they even all went drinking together after wards, but I couldn't come! :frowning2:

9. Starshine16

I joined one last semester and for me the age difference wasn't a problem.Most of the members were in their late teens and early twenties so I fit right in.It also didn't hurt that I knew some of the members from the psychology of sexual orientation class that I took last semester either.We start off with an icebreaker question and then we usually have some sort of topic for the day whether it's an upcoming GLBT event or a topic like coming out or GLBT health.

10. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I'm a little older than some of the people in my LGBT group, but it doesn't matter. I would suggest emailing your representative or something first. Mine has a combination of socials (where you just go out or do activities or whatever) and welfare things (where you can talk to people in confidence, for instance, or talks and things). So far I haven't attended the socials, but I have taken advantage of their welfare provisions.

But when there are meetings and things, it's just a group of people together who happen to be LGBT and who might be discussing LGBT-related things.

Good luck!

11. Emberstone

The college I am going to this summer and next fall has a GSA. however they do not meet during the summer, so I am going to have to wait till fall to join it. I feel weird though, as I will be 26, and alot of them probably in the early twenties. I dont know why that makes me feel weird. I think the weird feeling is the same I feel about the fact that it took me 8 years to start to feel sucessful in my classes.

12. BasketCase

I'll probably be signing up for one next week. Good luck with yours if you decide to go ahead with it.

13. bob4carl09

bob4carl09 Guest

tbh, I'm probably gonna leave it for now, I got a crazy busy month coming up and the way I hear it a lot of the societies stop dead after exams, but will rethink over the summer. Might email the person in charge though, get a lay of the land, in case there is something going on over the summer (cus I'm staying in the area over the break).

Let us know how yours goes though, good luck!