1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I just imagining it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by n123, Feb 11, 2017.

1. n123

So i'm quite young (early teens) and my transgender experience is quite different to the ones you normally hear about. up until recently(a few months-a year) i have identified as a cisgender girl. i was happy-mostly even satisfied-with my female body, and i liked 'girly things' well enough.Now I identify as a trans guy, but i'm frequently doubting myself. i'm am a firm believer in 'gender is a social construct' so i don't reject the idea of makeup or dresses or such things, but i am scared that people like my family and future psychologists will tell me that i'm not actually trans, but that i'm just imagining it or trying to put myself into the position of a trans person. another thing that has discouraged me is that i came out to my mom and she sort of just ignored it, and although i admit my way of coming out wasn't the best-i slipped a note into her laptop overnight saying 'i'm transgender'- i had hoped that she wanted to talk about it, but she hasn't she just sort of left it alone and now im scared to even discuss transgender stuff with her and im to afraid to talk to her about it myself. she's the only one I've told. any advice? Am i maybe subconscious just faking it?

2. i am just me

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi :slight_smile:

i'd suggest you post this again in the gender identity forum because probably more people who can help you will read it over there.

That aside, a lot of trans people don't realize that they are trans until later in life. From what I know, it is very common for people to start questioning their gender identity during their early teens. After all, it is the time when we first have do deal with our birth sex and the body changes that come with it.

About makeup and dresses: That's expression and not gender identity. A lot of trans people oppose clothing traditionally worn by their assigned gender because it prevents people from seeing their real gender. But it does not make you any less trans, if you are not like that. I don't how your family will deal with it, but a skilled gender therapists should be able to differentiate between gender identity and gender expression. Anyway, I am by far not an expert on this and I am sure other people from the gender identity forum can give you even more advice.