1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

incredibly scared to come out..?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by stepfords, Feb 11, 2017.

1. stepfords

The situation is, I've come out as a transgender man to my sister and mom, and they're both quite understanding with the entire thing. My mom actually doesn't seem too keen on the idea of me being her son instead of daughter.. but she told me to give her a couple of days, and be patient with her while she tries to understand. The real big problem is, however, my dad.... because he's very, very, very transphobic as well as homophobic.. and i'm incredibly terrified to tell him that i'm a transgender.

He's never really been the ideal father ever since my childhood, has trouble controlling his anger (in fact, for the longest time, he used to hit my sister, but he's sworn that he wouldn't lay his hands on us again.. but who knows.), and I know for a fact that if I do come out to him, he'll be red with rage. I'm stalling on fully coming out to my family for this reason, and I've been waiting-- for 4 years, actually, and to think that just as I'm making progress, I have to wait until I can be independent from him to be who I am.. I don't know, it really discourages me, and I don't know what to do. I understand that there are others out there who are in worse situations than I am, but I don't know how long I can go on living in this state of hating myself each time I see in the mirror, and wishing I would wake up as a boy each morning. Any advice on coming out to a transphobic parent?.. or an experience story would be greatly appreciated..

2. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm not out to my family. I've only come out to certain people at my school. I'm 20. I'm in college. I have been questioning my sexuality since I was 14. I kinda noticed that I was different when I was 11. But I kept trying to ignore it. I have already accepted myself mostly. I consider myself to be bisexual (or questioning). I have accepted that I have some same-sex attraction. My same-sex attraction doesn't bother me. My family isn't necessarily homophobic, but they may not be thrilled about having an LGBT+ family member. I have some gay relatives in my family. But it is what it is.

Even though I may not be qualified to give you advice since I'm not out, I would suggest to keep your head up and maintain a positive attitude. If you can find friends who support your transgender identity, please take those opportunities. Even though I'm not out, I still try to be positive and optimistic.

I hope I helped.