1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's Time But...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BreakinDaylight, Feb 12, 2017.

1. BreakinDaylight

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am finally ready to come out to the folks, and I plan on doing so in April. I'm planning on coming out via a powerpoint I made, because a letter felt too formal and unlike me.
    This woman who is my academic advisor is going to be there too for support because she has many LGBTQ+ friends and I feel like my parents are more likely to listen to her since she is an adult.

I'm not too concerned about coming out to my mother and stepfather, if it goes wrong then I can always go live with my dad (who I'm already semi out to and he's supportive).

I'm more concerned about my brother.

My brother is three years younger than me, and he is also trans.
    He came out to our parents in October, and it went not as well as he wanted. My mother and stepfather didn't quite believe him, and never talked to him about it. They read the letter, decided he's confused, and quickly moved on and never mentioned it further. They didn't believe him because he likes to paint his nails and do some stereotypically feminine things, but also because he came out after only knowing for two weeks. I told my brother that our parents would do this and that he needed to be the one to keep opening the conversation, but he didn't and so it's like his coming out pretty much never happened.

I feel like our parents are more likely to believe me, mainly because I'm out to a larger group of people (50+ people actually, and not just people my age either, but my academic advisors too), I've been pretty sure about myself for over a year, I'm more masculine than my brother, and I'm older than my brother.
    It's unfair of them to believe me over him, but that's just how they are.

I don't want to ruin my brother's chances of coming out, but I'm tired of being in the closet. So what is a boy in my situation to do?

Advice is greatly appreciated. :help:

2. DreamonRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think ya'll should come out together. It might sound wierd but if ya'll discuss it and plan so. Ya'll can both talk it out with your parents and you won't have to steal his moment and he can be out as well.

3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with DreamonRose. You should come out together. He should re-come out with your coming out. Wouldn't you want to be able to share this with him and have your best ally with you on your journeys together? You wouldn't be ruining his chances for coming out. You would be guaranteeing it.

Take care. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: