1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FurryDaFox, Feb 13, 2017.

1. FurryDaFox

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So before I ask whether I should come out to my friends, it needs some context.

I've already come out to my parents, my dad is quite supportive and my mum is...hesitant. She's said that she doesn't want my school to call me the female name that I eventually pick and she's barely let my school counselor send a referral to Tavistock.

To keep her happy I've kind of gone back into the closet. I'm not making any changes to my life at all, although I really want to. This is sort of where my questions stems from.

If I come out to my friends I will really want to get things moving because then I'm basically out to the whole world. However, this'll probably upset my mum somewhat.

I'm sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place here where I'm not sure how much longer I can cope with lying to my friends but don't want to upset my mum.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Kim x

2. Smores

I think that you should come out to your friends, but maybe don't mention it to your mom? Like just don't mention it if she doesn't ask.It's a really hard thing to do to stay closeted especially once you're already out to your parents. Also, coming out to your friends can give you someone to talk to. Those are just some of my thoughts, I hope it helps.

3. Twisted777

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm guessing (going by your age) that you're in year 11, so if you do come out, you can enjoy your last few months of school as yourself - worst case scenario, you only have to put up with negative people for a little while.

As far as your friends go, they'll probably be cool about the whole thing - they even already have suspicions. (Obviously I don't know how your friends, or anyone else, will react).