1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxious about coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by actualdust, Feb 15, 2017.

1. actualdust

I've been feeling a whole ton of anxiety about coming out for a while but especially lately... I feel comfortable and open about my orientation but gender is a different story. I'm agender (and still questioning), and although I know that coming out would make me feel so much more free and open, I'm also just straight up... afraid.

I'm afraid that people will see me as attention seeking since, by some people's standards, I'm 'not trans enough' for them. I'm afraid of being purposefully misgendered and looked down upon, and I'm certainly afraid of the actual dangers being openly trans can pose such as violence and discrimination.

I'm not sure I'm ready to be out as agender. I'm not even sure if I am agender; it's sort of just the label I've assigned myself while I'm caught between nonbinary and ftm identities. I feel like I have a long way to go confidence-wise before I'll feel comfortable coming out. Is it normal to feel,, emotionally unprepared?

I desperately want to be out, it's hard to go day to day being seen as something, someone, that I am not, but so far that desperate need to be myself hasn't outweighed my anxiety.

Any confidence boosters or general validation would be awesome right now, and of course I welcome any coming out advice you have to offer :icon_wink

#1 actualdust, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2017