1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to EVERYONE?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LeticiaTheLesbo, Feb 18, 2017.

1. LeticiaTheLesbo

Hey there! I'm 16 years old, sophmore in high school, and I'm hella gay. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on myself coming out to everyone via social media. As of now my general out level is that if my sexuality comes up in conversation I'll say "Yeah I'm gay," or something along those lines. I am not the type of person who wants to be viewed as the gay kid. I want to be viewed as the kid who happens to be gay. My sexuality does not define me. Sometimes though I think it would be easiest to just come out to everyone, but at the same time I feel that is not needed. I was just wondering what everyone else thought on this. Thanks in advance pals :slight_smile:

2. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only come out to everyone IF you feel like your confident enough and everyone will support you because when i was ready i just shot it out there and i was really surprised at the amount of support i got apart from one person (who i'm not going to mention) so in short only come out to everyone if you feel confident with it and if your ready otherwise don't bother

3. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey! Lol, first of all, you have a great username. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I agree with the above user, are you ready for everyone to know? I think that coming out on social media can be a bit overwhelming. And, do you think that it is safe to come out to everyone you know on social media? That's important, too.

If your answer to these first two questions is 'yes', then I'd like to ask you why you want to come out to everyone. Are you annoyed by people assuming you're straight, or because you think that people assume that you're straight? Do you feel that you're still somewhat in the closet and do you think that you will feel better when everyone knows? Do you think that coming out on social media will make it easier for you to find a girlfriend or to find other LGBTQ+ people to talk to?

If these things or something similar to these things are the reasons for why you want to come out on social media, then I see no reason to not do it if you're comfortable with coming out on social media. These things are perfectly understandable reasons for wanting to come out on social media. However, keep in mind that it is something that you do not need to do if you don't feel the need for it!

4. Isaacsolomon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Loveislife is right (and Sonic made good points as well) - the only thing I'd add to her is - once you do it on social media, you can't exactly 'go back' because you have to assume that everyone will know. I can't tell from your message if that's something that would or wouldn't bother you right now, but it's something to keep in mind. Once you do it on social media, no going back in.

5. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just a thought here -

I have been coming out on social media little by little. I have not posted any kind of "I'm gay" message on social media, but I started coming out by just being myself. Coming out in a more organic way. How does this work? I stopped censoring myself in what I post, comment on, like or share on FB, for example. I don't worry when I post a pic on Instagram on what people will think. I can re-tweet a LGBT supportive statement with no fear.

In small ways, post by post, share by share, I am coming out. Eventually I plan on being able to post pics of a boyfriend (once I have one!) or of us sharing a moment together.

For me, coming out publicly on social media doesn't have to be some Coming Out message. People are catching on and more will in time to come.

Take care. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: