1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fake date

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AlecF, Feb 18, 2017.

1. AlecF

AlecF Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My parents set me up on a blind date with a girl. They have in no way shape or form approved of my coming out. What should I do?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Simply politely decline to the girl.

If you're comfortable being open with the girl that you're gay, call or text her and just apologize, tell her you're gay, and that your parents are being difficult.

If you're not ready to tell people outside your close circle, then just call/text her, apologize, and say that you aren't really dating, it has nothing to do with her, and that your parents set things up against your wishes and without your permission.

Now... if you tell her one of the above things and she still wants to hang out, nothing wrong with saying "Well, if you want to hang out as friends, I'm fine with that." The only issue there is, you indirectly encourage your parents, which probably isn't a good idea.

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey AlecF,

I've followed your posts for a while now. Once again, I offer my sympathy for the loss of you BF, Jake.

I know that your parents are totally unaccepting of your homosexuality at this point and that you are once again fairly dependent on them for your housing.

I guess that I would counter Chip's advice simply by saying 'what do you have to lose by going out and having a good time with her?' If you are upfront with her that you are Gay, but would be happy to get out of the house, socialize and blow off some steam, I would be surprised if she objected. In fact, if she did object, you have a clear reason to tell your parents that the date 'fell through.' As a potential added-plus, if you don't tell her that you don't want her to tell others about your sexuality, word will probably get around the community and make it much harder for your parents to set you up on future dates.

Just somethoughts. :slight_smile:

4. AlecF

AlecF Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't mind going out with her. What angers me is that my parents will view this as "see you're NOT gay" I can enjoy being with a girl and still be a rainbow of gayness lol. They don't get it. My gayness is not a switch I can turn off and on, i tried to fool myself into thinking it was but I was wrong