1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could coming out as genderfluid harm a future career?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gears, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Gears

Hi,

So, I identify as genderfluid abrosexual, which basically means that my gender and sexuality are fluid. I've come out to some friends and classmates at college, and I've had my gender on facebook be listed as genderfluid (though I go back and forth on whether to make that public or invisible) but I'm debating whether to 'come out' to my dad and being more open about my gender identity on social platforms.

The problem with the social platforms is that I'm just about to graduate college and be a freelance artist- which is where public perception becomes important. Does anyone have much experience with their gender identity or sexual orientation affecting their career/work? Should I keep this aspect of myself secret in the future, or has our culture grown enough that this won't be as big of an issue than I think?

There's also the aspect of coming out to my dad. Back in high school, one of my sister's friends told my mom that I was gay (I'd made a fb post or comment about it), and when she told my dad, he got extremely weird. Things were awkward. I cried. He told really awkward stories. He continued to tell me really awkward/weird stories about gay people over the years.

I've been living with my dad for a couple of years now for school, (I'm 24 years old) and haven't brought up my gender identity with him. Recently, I bought a binder and have been more open about crossdressing, but still haven't directly talked to him about it. The other day while we were talking, he brought up that he wants to see a drag show at school that happens every spring. He apparently really, really wants to see the show, and his emphasis on this makes me wonder if that's his way of saying that he's okay with my non-gender conforming ways.

I don't really mind people knowing that I'm genderfluid, but there's the issue of education and understanding on what genderfluid is. Just like sexual orientation, I don't want to go through and explain what I am to someone, especially when that person was so weird with an identity that they understood.