1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i need help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DAY, Feb 19, 2017.

1. DAY

DAY

i know i am bisexual, my sisters know, my friends knows. but i am terrified to tell my grandma, you see she raised me because my mom and dad weren't able too, and she's really set in her ways. she's really homophobic. i know this because one of my friends is a lesbian and she found out and said awful things then she proceeded to ask me if i was her girlfriend, being truthful i told her no she then told me that "i better not be" and "you don't wanna hang around her because you don't want people to think you're like her". but i need to tell her, every day i don't i feel horrible about lying to her and not being truthful with myself. i just don't know what to do.

2. DreamonRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    We are in the same dilemma my mom is homophobic and I feel like I need to tell her but I am scared. I think that you should leave something like a note on the floor somewhere she can find it talking about how you feel so you don't have to tell her. I can't do that because I live with my aunt because we were homeless for some time and my sister they could find it too and honestly I don't know if I wan't anyone to know but I feel like I should tell them.

3. Twisted777

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First off, if there's even a slight chance that she might react strongly enough to kick you out of the house, I'd say to keep quiet.

If you think she will come around to the idea (which hopefully she would), and you really feel the need to divulge this secret, then do what you think is best.

I would think that coming out as bi would have less of a negative reaction than, say, lesbian, or transgender - but then again, some people don't believe that bisexuality even exists...it's a tricky one.

At the end of the day, if you want to come out to help you feel more comfortable being an open and honest version of yourself, then do it. Your grandma sounds like she has some basic prejudices, first-hand experience will hopefully erode these.

On the other hand, you're not really lying to her - you can have legitimate heterosexual relationships, you're just not telling her something that (in all honesty) she doesn't really need to know.