1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regret?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TreeGal, Feb 20, 2017.

1. TreeGal

I came out to my best friend last night and I know he won't say anything, I do trust him but I am having so much anxiety about people at school finding out, it's killing me. It felt right to tell him in the moment and now I can't take it back and I'm just panicking about it. I don't really know if I'm asking for advice but any words of comfort would be great I'm just really freaking out.

Although I will say, that this website gave me the courage to come out so thank you for this.

2. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Coming out to people close to you like friends and family is always difficult. But you passed the first step by coming up with the courage to come out to them. That's good. It shows you trust them immensely and that's important to you.

If you know that he won't say anything and you're still anxious everyone else at school will know, why don't you talk to him about it? That you trust him to not out you, but the fact that you're anxious everyone else will know. If he is a best friend like you say and believe I'm sure he'll be supportive and will help ease your anxiety.

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This makes sense ^^^

Since you trust this friend with coming out, then it would seem like you can talk about what you're feeling now. I think the regret feeling is normal and the uncertainty of what comes next and that your information isn't fully in your control since he knows now. I hope he'll honor your trust and with some time you'll feel at ease again.