why do i feel the need to come out to my parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by chatton, Feb 21, 2017.

1. chatton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    idk ive never really felt the particular need to come out to anybody because ive always found that people will assume my sexuality no matter what i say. throughout school whenever i told people i was straight they were still convinced other wise. even telling some of my friends, including gay ones, that i considered myself something along the lines of bisexual, most of them would still assume i'd end up completely gay.

& regardless of whether theyre right or not, ive always felt like 'gay' is the best/easiest title to go with just because it doesnt require having to explain my sexuality (since that's what's presumed anyways). and i mean technically i find myself having a stronger attraction to men, i'd say im a 4/5 on the kinsey scale i guess, like i wouldnt outright shoot down the possibility of being with a girl but its just less likely i guess.

anyway ill stop there bc this isnt the gender identity & expression forum lol.
    back to what i was saying, im pretty fem & unapologetically myself so im used to people assuming im gay before even meeting me. & i know that my dad has alrdy had the thought that im gay bc my sister told me that he asked her if she knew/thought that i was gay. & as i was saying, ive always felt like if people really wanted to know what my sexuality was they should just ask ( i know that thats not how the world works but ideally thats how it should). for example my sister's way of asking me if i was gay was by saying, "hey do you feel like Adrian?" adrian being our gay cousin. one of my friends way of asking me was, " hey if it was true what everyone thought about you, you would tell me right?"

idk if its just me but i dont appreciate these type of questions so i never fully answered them (but keep in my mind this was back when i was ambiguous about my own sexuality so i guess it doesnt really apply now but still). but i guess its things like that that make me feel like there's no real need for me to "come out" bc im kind of already out just by existing, if that makes sense. & bc of that i feel like i would say my "out status" is out to everyone. except, i guess, my parents.

whenever my mom makes a ref to me being w someone, its always that i will be with a girl. and i mean it doesnt really bother me bc its not like there's absolutely no possibility of that, part of me feels like i should mention to them that i like guys too, predominantly actually. its not even that i feel like im hiding this big part of my life from them, but i think its more like i feel that they would probably want to know about that part of my life u get me? like i feel like its j one of those things that people would like to be aware about, thus why i feel like i should just tell them?? idk but i guess at the same time, in writing all of this it maybe im just not entirely comfortable with my own sexuality yet?? like maybe im just not comfortable with just openly saying "hey im gay!" but @ the same time i kind of do?idk

lol im not really sure where/how to end this off (nor am i sure if i got to all the points i wanted to write down), but i mean im only posting this for the sake of just writing down my thoughts and i guess just being able to have general unbiased anonymous opinions/input. thanks in advance

---------- Post added 21st Feb 2017 at 01:29 AM ----------

damn i shouldve posted this on the anonymous forum i forgot that existed here lol

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what you have said, it sounds like your parents (your Dad, at least) is aware that you might be gay. Why else would he have asked your sister? I suspect your Mom is also aware and hopes that by constantly referring to you dating girls, you will say something like... "or boys!". If you are giving off all the vibes, people, including your parents have most likely guessed and may not be surprised.

How did your parents feel when your cousin, Adrian, came out? Do you know what their feelings are about him? This might be a good indicator of how it would go if you were to do the same. If you get on well with Adrian and his parents you could talk to them and ask for their help and support if you wish to come out now.