1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating in/breaking up the closet when not being out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wondergood, Feb 25, 2017.

1. wondergood

Hey,
    I've read a lot of stories about dating in the closet but most of them were about being with someone who is not out.
    My girlfriend (not out) and me (out) have broken up because she is not ready yet to come to terms and/or deal with a closeted-relationship. We love each other so much but it was too much to bear...

Now I really want to understand her POV. How is it for someone in the closet having to break up with your lover just because you're not out. How does that feel? If you have experienced something similar; how long did it take for you to get over your SO, did it help you to come out, did you ever get back together etc...I would really love to hear your side of the story.

2. loepis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would have to say that most probably that it is not about you. It is more about her coming in to terms of accepting herself, at least it is in my case. I have come out to few people, but I am still pretty much in the closet.
    Answering your question about how did it help me to come out, in a way, it gave me the push/the urgency to come out. Lord knows that I would be perfectly fine to stay in the closet for as long as I can.
    For everyone who is in a relationship with a closeted person, my advice is to really understand that he/she may never fully come out and if you are willing to take that chance. If you are, please be honest to yourself and her about your own expectation and maybe your hypothetical breaking point.
    Hope it gives you a fresh perspective.