1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to do any sort of coming out without fear of stigmatization.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Naos210, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Naos210

I do think I have gender dysphoria, but I do fear going in to see a doctor. I haven't been to a doctor in years, and never really had any reason to. My family's never really had to deal with anything like this. I don't think they've had much interaction with LGBT people at all. As far as I remember, anyway. What didn't help was my father's constant badgering of me to be a man, and him scolding if I wasn't man enough, or both of my parents saying how I wasn't raised right. It doesn't happen really much now, but I don't know why, but I always felt uncomfortable with him saying I had to be "the man of the house" or something. My parents always said how I was way too effeminate (and because of stuff like this, I have some forced masculinity). And well, a lot of people in my life do say stuff like this. And while it could just be that, I'd really like to get this settled. But like I said, because of my parents' more traditional family thoughts, I do fear what they may think. Granted, they seem to fall more in the liberal mold and might be more accepting, I really don't want to risk it. My relationship with my parents is pretty shaky as it is, especially now. I barely even talk to them much at this point. I don't have much friends anymore, but I'm sure at least a few will be accepting. I've already lost enough people in my life, and I'd rather not lose anymore. I'm constantly trying to take slow steps with this, but... I don't really know if I should. I always want to just try to forget about it and move on. But I do feel, along with this, and my ongoing (not diagnosed) depression, I really need to get myself in a more mentally stable fashion. It's getting in the way of my life.

So, any advice on how to go about this? I don't feel like I can just bring it up to them out of the blue. I'll be obliged for anything I can get.