1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out on Facebook?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by choni, Feb 28, 2017.

1. choni

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What are your opinions on coming out on Facebook? It seems like it would be easy. Then everyone on your friends list will just know you are gay (or whatever you're coming out as); it's a one-shot coming out experience. But I read an article somewhere that advised against doing this...I wanted to know what your opinions were.

#1 choni, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  2. Twisted777

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm about to delete my Facebook account, I only use it for the messenger (whatsapp is less of a privacy concern).

Having said that, I've only accepted about fifteen friend requests (people I actually talk to), and I still wouldn't come out to them like that. Probably because they're either college peers who don't need to know, or don't care - or my close friends and my sister. I feel like they should get a more personal touch (even if it's just a really gay joke, followed by 'its fine, I'm bi').

3. taical

taical Guest

I actually briefly considered doing this as well but I just don't think it fits my personality. I think it would be strange to do that considering my entire family is friends with me on Facebook and I only use it for family, I think it would be very awkward if I came out to all different family on there, especially because my parents, who I still live with, would see that and would have no idea how to go about talking about it the next day. I think coming out mostly suits people if their Facebook friends are actual friends, colleagues, or acquaintances over family - but whatever works for you!

4. matt4907

matt4907 Guest

I came out on Facebook a little more than a year ago and for me it was a really positive experience. I have quite a lot of Facebook friends so it was a little intimidating to know that all of them were about to known that I'm queer but I ended up getting a lot of support from my friends and even from my family. I think it can be a really good way to come out to a bunch of people at once but at the same time you have to be aware of who is going to be able to see that post. If there's someone who you don't want to come out to then I would say it's probably not a good idea to post it or you could just block that person from seeing the post. For me, it was really good and it made a couple of things much easier so I'm all for people coming out on Facebook

5. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would suggest a different approach that accomplishes your goal but without the obligatory "coming out" post. I am out on Facebook, but I did it in a more organic way.

Over the course of about three months, little by little, I shed my inhibitions about what I chose to like, share, and comment on. I stopped censoring myself. I joined LGBT Facebook groups and interacted with them, choosing to like and share certain posts and photos that represented things I wanted to say. By doing this in an increasingly LGBT-oriented way, I made it clear that I supported gay rights, LGBT rights, gay marriage, trans rights, areas of transphobia, etc. It hasn't been difficult to find material in any way, given the events of Trump's presidency. There are plenty of things on FB to create, share, like and comment. It's not hard to "come out" on FB and never even having to say "Hey everyone!! I'm gay!!!!"

Just a thought on a different approach.

Take care. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that it is a good way to come out. I have friends that.love all ovdr the country and some that live outside of it as well. This let me come out to everybody at once. Now, that being said, I came out to my close friends and family first.

I would say to try to make the post as personal as possible. You really want to try to make the post your own. Also, it will make it less likely that people will think that you left your facebook open on somebody's computer. I'd also make it clear that this is something that is not up for debate. Some people do like to try to debate sexuality on people's coming out posts.