1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Tell People You're Gay Without Really Saying It

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alainbeaux, Mar 1, 2017.

1. alainbeaux

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Everyone,

So the title pretty much says it all. I feel like I haven't been open with a lot of the people I've met in school over the past half year basically because I've never come out and addressed my sexuality. I've simply avoided the topic. One of my classmates is explicitly gay and that has added to my frustration. As always happens with me when I meet new people, I think everyone assumes I'm straight. People have occasionally brought up the subject of girls to me and i've either been silent or just shrugged off the subject. I've never implied I've had a girlfriend (or boyfriend). Basically, I'm feeling stuck. Is there anyway I can be a bit more open without actually saying to everyone I'm gay. That's what always gets me. I came to this new school planning to be out and open to everyone, but I just never knew when or how to bring up the topic. How do you work up to a conversation that includes the phrase "by the way, I'm gay" in it? I admit, there was one time at the beginning of the year a classmate somewhat jokingly suggested a girl was hitting on me and my response was something like, "Oh... yeah..." Does anyone have advice on how to let someone know you're gay without actually having to say it? It seems so awkward otherwise. Keep in mind i'm totally closeted and can't reference an ex or anything like that. I also don't act gay at all, which is what usually leads everyone to believe I'm straight. And although i have some interests that may be stereotypically gay there aren't many. Please help me out guys. I'm freakin 27 years old and am just as closeted and frustrated as I was when I was 16. I've missed out on so much and just wish I could feel more comfortable with myself.

2. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good morning there my friend, so I am in the middle of therapy for first time in my liege and I am in my mid 50's still married to my wife of 29 years with three daughters 21-26 and here I am my wife discovered I was
    Sleeping with guys recently . So I face many dilemmas I need to address the infidelity and my sexuality at the same time . I have a good handle of why the infidelity started but I have struggled quite a bit about why guys when I never felt I was gay nor have I emotionally or romantically desired a guy along the way. Through lots of hard with with my therapist and plenty of reading I do know one thing I am not straight that I can felt . So in my case I started with my wife and she now knows that part of course and I have a few friends who have found out we are dealing with marital problems and I just simply told them why which has been liberating to me . I think you seem comfortable that you are gay and you have somewhat accepted it . I for the first time accept me as bisexual simply because I am still very attracted to my wife and woman but also to guys . That being said I find it way better when I accept it and candidly do not care what others think period . Start slow and actually tell
    Someone directly and it will happen organically in many ways . Good luck you seem smart and like a good guy

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could start by wearing a pride/rainbow wristband, badge, t-shirt etc. This is a way of making people aware that you are (at the very least) an ally of the LGBT community, but it often leads people to question if you are more than an ally. If you do an internet search for "pride clothing" it should return some results. If you go down this route and people ask about it, will you be prepared to tell them that you are gay?

Is there a LGBT group at your school? If so you could register an interest and maybe talk to one of the members or co-ordinators first and go from there.

What do you think?

4. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    THIS. This is my plan. I'm very shy and socially awkward so this is what i'm gonna do. After i get my license, get a second job, and move out i will buy a pride necklace of some sort and wear it. That way it doesn't always have to be me bringing it up, you know? And it might be helpful for others around me who could be in the closet - a visible symbol that at the very least i'm supportive of the LGBT community. I'm hoping that wearing a pride jewelry piece like that openly can be a sort of conversation starter cause honestly, unless somebody asks about my dating life, i'd have no idea how to start that conversation casually. But like Patrick said you've gotta be mentally prepared for it first...prepared to answer "Yeah, I'm gay." to everyone who asks and take whatever response they have. Me? It might be a bit before i have that kinda confidence. Who knows, maybe just moving out will help a lot. If i live that long.

#4 AlexJames, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2017
  5. alainbeaux

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know, wearing a pride band isn't really my thing. Maybe just because I'm not 100% comfortable with expressing my sexuality. My clothing tends to be pretty normal, and it just isn't like me to make a statement with what I wear. Everyone got that my classmate was gay pretty much just from the way he acts. He's not extremely flamboyant, but he definitely makes himself heard quite frequently if you get what I mean. Like, he's much more outspoken than me. Is there anyway I can imply I'm gay verbally? Sometimes I think I should just say "interested in men" on Facebook, but then I'd be afraid my mom would see it.

6. ehm28

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm in just the same situation as you. I rather wan't people to "find out" or just realize that i'm gay without having to say it. It seems very unnatural for me to talk about something like that, since i'm quite a private person.

The wearing of pride-clothes is probably effective, but as you say, it's maybe not everyones style. And certainly not mine either.

You can't imagine how much i have thought about ways to come out "casually" or without having to be explicit. But so far I haven't thought out something really clever. I think the problem is that even when people have a suspicion about you, or even if they are quite sure that you're gay, they still don't ask because it might seem rude.

7. CoconutOilLady