1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forced to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Shasta, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    My mom forced me to come out. People have been talking about me or so she says. She found out I have been going to therapy and support groups. She's insinuating I'm trashing the family so I came out to her and I think I'm gay. I told her get these feelings for other women. I told liked girls like she likes guys. I had defend a few friends of mine because she thinks they converted me. I told no I have felt this way since the third grade. My classmates would crush on boys and I would crush on girls.

2. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some simply never learn to think outside of the box, they think how their parents "programmed" to think and that means fearing anything they deem strange or different. In old times, the left handed received the same treatment. Unfortunately it's not easy to re-program your mind and allow new knowledge to flow in, and many would rather lose their own children rather than put forth the effort. I'd encourage you to take caution considering her behavior. Be careful, and stay safe.

Continue to be yourself though, don't let them try to "force the sphere into the square hole" you know, it won't fit. Only do what feels right, if the hostility doesen't carry on maybe she can be educated in time, but I would deem that improbable for now. To learn, one must be willing yes?

3. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You handled it as well as can be expected. Now just don't apologize for it. She pushed and if she doesn't like what she found out she shouldn't have gone snooping or listened to idle gossip. I think your statement about crushing on girls is really powerful. Hopefully it broke through some preconceived notions.
    She's upset, which isn't a huge surprise, but is she willing to listen to what you have to say?

4. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Your mother reminds me of my mom with what you said. Don't let her make you apologize for this and don't change or fake it just to please her. You are who you are and that's just fine. Do whatever you need to stay safe, of course, just...know that some people can't change. Maybe your mom can become more open to it - some parents i've heard from other stories can be very resistant at first but with time are accepting. But some parents can't and won't change, and sadly for that its a lose-lose situation i think. Hopefully with time your mom will be more open and accepting about it.

5. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    She's oblivious to the damage she has done. I hate her for doing this. She said she's always known but needs to hear it from me