1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK, so I think I am finally ready to do it.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AlexPatrickMorrissey, Apr 16, 2009.

1. I want to stop hiding from myself and stop pretending that I am something I'm really not. I am ready to come out. I think I'm going to tell my daddy on Saturday and my mom... well, I'm not sure when or how to tell my mom. She's piss-drunk about 95% of the time and I don't want to tell her when she's drunk. If I tell her when she's drunk, she'll forget and I'll have to do it again, which is a big no-no. I know that my dad won't be getting stoned this weekend, so I will tell him before he can get his hands on cannabis. The last problem I'm having is saying it out loud and deciding how to tell them. I can't even say, "I'm gay." out loud to myself in the mirror. I also don't know how to do it. I want to do it in one of these three ways:

- Just saying it quickly and walking away
    - Sit down and discuss it in great detail
    - Make a comment about a "cute guy" and then tell him if he asks why I said that.

Which one seems like the best choice? I can't possibly choose between any of these three by myself.

2. GhostDog

Now, I don't know your parents, so I can't tell you what the best way would be, but the thought occurs that if you can't look in the mirror and say you're gay, is it the best time to be considering this? Seems to me like you, personally, should be comfortable enough with yourself to say it out loud, even alone, before dealing with whatever backlash may happen.

You say you want to stop hiding from yourself? Perhaps you should give yourself some time and actually do that, before bringing this up with your folks. If you're still not comfortable enough with it to say it aloud, I'd think risking getting negative reactions could be really hard to deal with. But, again, I don't know your parents or how accepting they may or may not be (it doesn't sound like a terribly stable environment to me, but that is just an assumption), and I'm not telling you what you should or shouldn't do. I definitely understand that itch to just say something, anything! But those are just my two cents, hehe, and I am not the most experienced with all of this myself.

There's no rush. I think even being able to say it out loud to yourself would be a good step. Just breathe, relax, it'll be alright. :slight_smile:

#2 GhostDog, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  3. Rygirl

I aggree with Ghostdog, you need to sit down and spend some time getting to terms with this yourself before you try to make anyone else accept it. From your post you sound scared, and that will not be benificial to you trying to convince your parents that this is a good thing. If you need any help with that then you know that we are here to help.

4. I know that they won't be mad at me at all, but I still feel like something could go wrong. I am scared, but I know that it must be done very soon. I don't want to rush it, but I hate keeping secrets and lying. The only thing that they might dislike is the fact that it would be much harder to have children, but I can explain to them that I can adopt or do something like that. I want to just... get this off of my chest and out of my head so I can live the way that I want to live.

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate to repeat what you've already heard, but I agree with ghostdog. I haven't told anyone yet just becuase I"m not totally comfortable with being gay yet. Maybe you should just take some time to get used to being gay.

:icon_bigg

6. Greggers

Well, you seem ready to me.

But, if your not super comfortable in your own skin, maybe try another option for coming out?

I would recommend via letter or e-mail. The main reason being you can do a few rough drafts until you get every JUST right. You want this to be perfect, because its very important. So take your time, get ALL your feelings into one document, and when your ready click send to whoever you need to :slight_smile:

You can start by coming out to one or two people who you think are most likely to accept you? Build a support group for the un-avoidable time when a coming out goes wrong. If that happens you will want people to back you up and support you.

If your letters go well, and you start to feel more comfortable about yourself, you can come out in person to people over a cup of coffee or whatever you choose :slight_smile: If your doing it face-to-face it will take more preparation, but there is always something nice about that personal choice.

...and just remember, as always, if YOU dont love yourself how can you expect someone else to?

7. Mickey

Okay,I got to say it,too! You really should try to come to terms,yourself,with your sexuality,before you come out to your parents. Both are hard to do. But the hardest may be to yourself. It's okay to feel the way you do. Most people go through the same thing.
    And ,like was said,we're here for you. Good luck,sweetie.