1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out too early?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rainyday, Mar 4, 2017.

1. rainyday

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been having a lot of conflicting feeling about my sexuality and it's been causing me a lot of angst. On one hand I want to like girls and date girls, but on the other hand I feel like I can't possibly be a lesbian since I was so so convinced in the past I was straight and also I don't want anyone to know.

To help maybe to alleviate things and maybe have people maybe to talk to, I told/came out to a friend, who is bi. And, I guess it went ok, but I did kinda feel like they maybe didn't fully believe me, but they said they were supportive. I feel like maybe telling them was a mistake, especially since my feelings about my sexuality/identity are so turbulent. Like maybe this was premature and I should have eased into it/given hints before I came out (like this friend did). Is it possible to come out too early?

#1 rainyday, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2017
  2. kaceegrace

I do think there is such a thing, and it usually happens when you feel pressured into it, or that it will clear up inner turmoil. However, I think it's best to wait until you've figured out and accepted yourself to come out to others. If you're still questioning, you'll be more sensitive to negative responses, and they could damage you more than if you were 100% certain. Coming out is very personal though, so do it when it feels right for you.

3. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I kinda feel the same way. I have questioned my sexuality multiple times. There are times in which I felt "more" gay or "more" straight. Questioning your sexuality is a complex process. It definitely takes place during the teenage years. I think you should take it one day at a time. After a while, things tend to fall in place.

4. rainyday

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in my twenties though, haha. I was functionally asexual in my teens and thought I'd grow into finding men sexually attractive or that I'd find a guy sexually attractive if I dated them for a while. Never dated anyone, there's been this mental block where I just don't want to try to find a guy to date.

Things turned out ok after I told my friend, I think they do believe me, and I think I'm glad I did it. I feel a tiny bit more grounded and less chaotic. But yeah I'm constantly going in circles questioning. Whenever I "feel" straight it's not because I'm attracted to a man at the moment, but because I'm not thinking about my sexuality at all. I think I'm just thinking about it too hard but my brain won't turn off, it's constantly looking for reasons I'm straight, or doubting my attraction to women...

I'm definitely waiting before I tell anyone else.

#4 rainyday, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2017