1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is he gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HarryLillis, Mar 6, 2017.

1. HarryLillis

This is my first ever post on a site like this so please be kind haha. I'm on here because I'm wondering if you could give me some advice on a situation I have going on right now, it requires a bit of a back story so I will say sorry for the lengthy paragraphs now.

I'm someone who is closeted to a certain extent, I'm gay or at least feel that way and it's fairly obvious, I'm the stereotypical gay guy with girl friends, high pitched voice etc. but yet deny it. I've known this guy for about 2 years ish now and I've spoke to him a few times, we've had relatively deep chats about school life and things like that but I've always got the sense that there's more to him than meets the eye. He's 2 years older than me but he's just in the year above so he's 18, he is popular in school and hangs around with stereotypical men of his age if you can picture it. I'm trying to keep it as vague as possible yet still give you the information you need because I'm paranoid.

Basically, I feel like he flirts with me a little bit and there has been occasions where I've felt a real connection. We don't really speak much in person or over text due to the difference in friends and age but we've been to the same social events and we've spoke to eachother about a variety of things. We've texted eachother(albeit me doing the initial starter conversation and him with minimal response - they're sometimes flirtatious responses but short and a bit random) and he's shared things about his school life etc. I should probably make clear that he's straight if you hadn't of guessed or so he claims to be. He's had one girlfriend that I'm aware of but he's done things with girls but my friends have suspected him of being gay. He's always been in the back of my mind ever since I felt a connection with him but I try not to make it obvious to save myself the embarrassment.

I try not to stare at him when I see him which is A LOT but I feel that sometimes I've caught him looking at me, however, I'm not certain on this. The reason I posted this was because I hadn't saw him out in quite a while and he came up to me and we got chatting, I felt like we were flirting a little bit (eye contact, sat close, laughing) and he quite abruptly said that I was playing hard to get. He's definitely a joker and funny which is why I doubt the seriousness of this when he said it so I replied with a jokey response. I've not told anyone about anything he's ever said to me in case I'm being crazy but just some of the things he's said to me seem like he's either massively joking(which I suspect is the case) or massively flirting. I feel like I'm going crazy because for the past 3 days he's all I've been thinking about, a lot more than usual as I'd got over him ages ago. Is saying that someone is playing hard to get a normal thing to say?

I suppose I'm questioning it because being in such a popular group with 'lads' as friends, surely speaking to someone such as me is questionable because what does he want with me? Is he not embarrassed or is he just a nice guy who doesn't care? Does he have feelings for me? What are your thoughts? :bang:

P.S. Feel free to ask any questions if anything needs clarification and I also hope this is in the right section, sorry if not.

#1 HarryLillis, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  2. ligunn

I think this definitely means something... Don't take my word for it as I've made many relationship mistakes in my life, but if a guy said that to me and I was crazy about him like it sounds like you are to this guy, I would go after him:thumbsup:

If I were you I would give it a few weeks or AT LEAST a few days to see if he truly is interested though. He could be in the exact same situation as you are as well:grin:

3. HarryLillis

Yeah well I'd say I'm quite crazy about him hahah but I spoke to him last night and it was just a bit weird, like he was being off and distant with me and more of a sort of jokey flirt that a serious one. I saw him a few times today but never got the chance to see if he was looking at me because I was focusing on not staring at him far too much but tomorrow's a new day so we shall see where that takes me. I would try to speak to him more I just don't want to embarrass myself and seem like some sort of creep who doesn't leave him alone and so I'm just trying to play it cool but that'll never get me anywhere. Tough decisions.

4. Victas

Last year I had a friend that was doing the samething (like he was flirting etc) but he is 100% straight and even if he was cute I never asked him anything, always tried to be "straight as possible" xD

What I think you should do is do not tell him you like him that way for now, you can be suprised by his reaction... (High homophobia... I experienced this...) Even if he's your best friend that can change at any time because of this. I think you should wait for obvious stuff before telling him anything.

I know I'm not really good at giving advices, plus English isn't my main language so it's even harder for me to explain stuff.

5. HarryLillis

Does anyone have any tips on how to work it out or how to get him to speak to me and notice me more rather than me speaking to him? He spoke to me in person the other day but it was really short, partially my own fault as I'm quite blunt in person but I just feel too awkward saying things infront of other people but I wouldn't have a problem saying it one on one.

6. MWhit6

I'm currently in a similar situation with one of my female friends, who I have a huge crush on, and I have absolutely no idea if she's attracted to girls at all. My friends tell me I should just confess my feelings for her, and see if she shares them, so I think I'll pass that advice on to you. But of course with different pronouns. Good Luck!!

7. HarryLillis

I want to tell him but a bigger part of me doesn't want to. I fear rejection and whatever else may come my way but more importantly, although we don't have a massive relationship, I fear losing the little that we have. It feels like we've already lost it but deep down I know that the next time we're in a similar situation it could be the same and the cycle will start all over again, however, at the moment, it's like he doesn't even know me, he blanks me as if I don't exist yet he's all I can think about.

I just do not know what to do.

#7 HarryLillis, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  8. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey HarryLillis,

It’s often the case that when we have a strong crush on someone that we read things into their actions that really aren’t there, from an objective point of view.

You said several times in your initial post that you just think he’s joking with you. (If I understand you post correctly, you are NOT Out to him.) And I think that explains his actions pretty clearly. From my perspective, nothing he’s said or done is very unusual and simply seems to show that he’s happy to be friendly to you.

Of course, the bottom line, from my perspective, is that the only way you will ever know for certain whether or not he has any romantic feelings towards you would be to ask him directly – or at least tell him about your feelings for him. Since nothing he’s said or done directly indicates (in my opinion) that he has any such feelings towards you and you’ve said that you don’t want to embarrass yourself with him, I would suggest that you, first, just continue to make him a friend and, then, maybe start trying to get his views on LGBTQ issues, perhaps by asking occasional questions about LGBTQ issues in the news, etc.

Things you might do to make him a better friend are things like finding common interests/hobbies that you can discuss/share with him. Talk to him regularly, even if it’s just simply saying ‘hi’ at first. Pay close attention and express interest in things he talks about and/or does. (Don’t go overboard or just pretend, but look for things you have in common with him.)

I don’t know if that helps…

9. rainyday

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dude that sucks :/ If you don't want to come out to him or tell him you have a crush on him, I'd assume he's straight and not interested in you romantically unless he fairly explicitly or directly tells you otherwise. If he isn't straight, he might not be aware of it or accepting of it yet, so I wouldn't wait around on him. He sounds like a cool friend, but you could maybe spend a little less time hanging out with him to clear your mind.

You deserve someone who is open and honestly interested in you, so don't starve yourself on the scraps of attention he gives you :wink:

#9 rainyday, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  10. HarryLillis

It's funny that Quantumreality has said that if I think he is joking then that suggests I think he doesn't mean it because I literally thought the same thing the other day. Maybe I am over analysing and trying to see things that just aren't there. I just wish he liked me the way I liked him but the time to find out is becoming shorter and shorter as he's going to university soon.

He's initiated a few conversations over Snapchat but this was a long time ago and I've done the same to him(usually drunk) and we seem to have a lot in common. I'd love to be his friend, a really close friend, even if I didn't have feelings for him because everything about him is what is desired. There's no way I'd explicitly tell him how I felt, not at this time of my life anyway, maybe when I don't have to see him ever again hahah but I know he doesn't seem to have a problem with gay people. I have a feeling he knows how I feel about him but he chooses to ignore it but at the start of this week after the weekend he tried speaking to me but it was in front of my friends and his friends so I shut him down before he had a chance.

I literally have no idea what to do and it's driving me insane, he's all I think about. Even when I'm occupied with my friends or some form of work, I still think about him and it's frustrating because I was completely over him until he said what he said in my first post.

#10 HarryLillis, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2017
  11. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey HarryLillis,

Unfortunately, having a crush on someone who is or may be out of reach isn't uncommon. The only actual way to know for sure, as I said, is to tell him straight up how you feel about him and get his response.

Since you said that there is no way that you would explicitly tell him how you feel about him at this point in your life and he’s going away to university soon, don’t you think the best thing to do is to try to get over your romantic feelings for him? If you can, maybe just remain good friends with him. Have you considered Coming Out to him? If, as you say, he isn’t homophobic, then he’ll most likely be accepting of you and that would be one less thing that creates a barrier between the two of you. If, for some reason, he isn’t accepting, then he isn’t someone who can ever be a real friend to you in the longrun. Coming Out to him won’t resolve your crush on him, but at least it might give you some forward progress with him in the short time he’ll be around.

Just a thought.:slight_smile:

12. HarryLillis

Firstly, I'd like to thank you and everyone for their ongoing advice and support. I'm fairly sure he isn't homophobic in any way and I forgot to mention, he has explicitly asked what my 'status' so to speak is and I denied it but seriously considered telling him at the time but I was afraid of who he would tell. I think you're right and at this stage of my life I'll do what I did before - try and forget about him. Who knows, fate may take us to the same university or allow us to cross paths again hahah. I'm still unsure as to what to do but much clearer than before and speaking about it helps so much. I've been trying to distant myself as much as possible so let's hope it works.

If he has any form of feelings for me, he knows where he can find me.

13. TheOneCactus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Remember, there is such thing as Bi, so just because he has a girlfriend doesnt mean hes not into you. I think you should try and see if he comes to you. If he does, try and root a little deeper. All the best

14. HarryLillis

I sound like I'm being sarcastic but the idea of him being bisexual didn't even cross my mind. I think that's what I'll do, I'll just wait and see if he comes to me but I could be waiting a while. I feel like he's already tried to come to me, especially in person but I feel like I've shut him out and down by my limited responses and almost bitchy attitude. It's not that I don't like him because I think we've all established I do, I really do, it's because I feel awkward and don't really know what to say to him - shy is probably the best way to describe it. Or "playing hard to get".

Having said that, I've tried to speak to him and it seems as if he is shutting me down so whether he's giving me a taste of my own medicine or he's not interested, who knows. I'd question whether it was the drink talking when he's said things to me but we've spoke a lot sober too. He's driving me mad and probably always will but I just need to get over it and hopefully that happens soon.

15. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Life is too short, so don't waste it aimlessly. Just tell him that you like guys, he's already kind of asked you about it. Whatever his goals, he has shown interest in you, either as a friend or as something more. I think you're the only one who will lose if you don't tell him.

Another possibility is to ask him to hang out. Find common ground or interest, and move on from there.

16. CharacterStudy

People always seem to forget that bi is an option!

I'd casually chat about something LGBT-related that's in the news, like a film, or a protest or parade. See what he says and how he acts. I don't think there's enough here to work out whether he's bi /gay or not, or whether he's attracted to you or just flirting, so you probably need to get to know him better. If you've any interests in common, you could always suggest something around that, even say your other mates are busy, but you still want to go see x, or whatever...

17. HarryLillis

Yeah I think that could be a good idea, it's just plucking up the courage to even do so. He's said before that he isn't scared to say when another man is good looking so I thought that was quite a bold thing to say. The more I think about it, the more I feel like he's just a straight guy who isn't afraid to flirt with another guy or just jokes around for the fun of it. In a way I sort of wish he'd stop because of the amount of time I spend thinking about it and it's playing with my emotions but how does he know this when I haven't told him. In another way I obviously want him to carry on and hope that he is gay/bi. :bang:

18. HarryLillis

Just posting a bit of an update but still asking for advice about this: the said person has touched me a few times like on my back and my side but secretly so only me and him know about it - I get the impression he doesn't want other people to know. The first time, I ignored him because I didn't want to seem happy about it and then the second time a few days later, I looked at him and we made long eye contact(like 5,6,7 seconds) and we both just gave each other a laughy smile. This isn't the first time we've made long eye contact while smiling because on another day he'd asked me something and then we did this. Also, he's squeezed past me in the corridor once and his hand sort of brushed against my back/bum but whether this was an accident or not I couldn't tell, it seemed like there was enough room but I don't know. Would you class this as flirting?

#18 HarryLillis, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2017
  19. CharacterStudy

Still need more info. Long eye contact can be quite a sign though, certainly unusual in an entirely non-romantic encounter.

20. HarryLillis

Hiya, sorry about my late reply but I still hope you can get back to me. I'll give you some more up to date information. He hasn't touched me since but I feel like it's because he's scared of who may see or what may be said but I feel like he purposely tries to grab my attention but in a subtle way - like he's playing me at my so called own game(playing hard to get). We continue to make eye contact, whether it be obvious eye contact where we stare at eachother for a few seconds knowing who it is or just general eye contact when checking to see who is around you. Sometimes I feel like he is looking over at my direction but it's hard to tell considering there's so many other people he could be looking at. A good example of this was something that happened the other day. I was sat down and had my back away from where he usually sits and quite far away but where I was sat, you can look out of glass and see people walk past. Now, you can get through the way where my back was to him but he walked the longer way round so that I could see him through this glass and then we made eye contact for like one or two seconds yet he was going to the same place where you can get to through the quicker way so I wondered why he did this - is it another sign?

I try grabbing his attention in more ways than one but I don't do it in an obvious way and therefore he doesn't bite but today he snap chatted me and when I replied, he just ignored me. What's all that about? Every time I begin to get over it and tell myself I'm crazy, things happen that make me doubt myself and make me think we have something.

#20 HarryLillis, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017