1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next year housing help!!! v2.0

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Coldflame, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Coldflame

mediumdietcoke's thread made me realize something I completely forgot about. What should I do about housing next year? basically it comes down to two options:

1. Live in a single dorm room with shared bathroom and lounge. This is what I did this year. The problem is that this is where all the first years HAVE to go to, so being here next year may make me feel a little out of place. That, and I likely wouldn't get to see all the people I got to know this year very often if I choose this option.

2. Live in a 6 or 4 person unit, each with single bedrooms, two or three bathrooms, and a shared kitchen and common room. This is where most second years go, so I likely would end up living in the same building as people I know. My worry is I may not end up with accepting roommates.

What are your opinions? I want to go with option 2, but I don't want to end up spending a year torturing myself dealing with some jerk (or maybe more than one :icon_sad:slight_smile:. There isn't anyone I can really ask to be room mates with as everyone I know either didn't get in rez or is already rooming with a group.

2. olides84

Live in the group situation. It's a better environment than dorms and you really need to get away from the freshmen. Also, you are bound to get along with most if not all of your suitemates. If one is an asshole, then you and the other suitemates have a reason to bond - to slag off on him/her. At least that was exactly my university experience living in a 4-person suite one year.

3. Greggers

If you go with option two and it ends up being horrible with whoever your matched with, is there any way out? A transfer out or anything?

Its never a bad idea to have a back-up plan, a way out so to speak :slight_smile:

But it seems the group situation is the one that would be the best, but its more risky in who your paired with. The dorm situation is safe and easy, but you would be with all the newbies. Well, like they say "nothing risked nothing gained"? You should atleast try the second option because it could be really good for you, you owe yourself that atleast :slight_smile:

4. Coldflame

Okay. Thank you very much for your advice. I think I will go with option 2. And I do believe there is a way to transfer if that happens, but I don't know how easy that would be. If everyone is already all paired up, it would probably be hard to find a group who is missing one AND all the members are perfectly fine with a gay room mate.

Which leads me to my next question: Should I tell them I'm gay right away so we can work things out if they are not comfortable with it? Or should I let them get to know me before telling them so that they may get used to it?

I would probably tell them right away, and I think most of you would say the same. I still wanted to ask just in case you guys may have a point I'm missing.

Thanks for the help!:thumbsup:

5. Miles D

yup, same as others said. option 2, but get out of there if it gets bad. :grin:
    good luck :slight_smile: