1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Yelozbhsbjaj729, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Yelozbhsbjaj729

Hi!

I'm here because I think I'm probably bi.. I have a girlfriend, we've been going out for three years but I just like how boys look.. don't get me wrong I still like the female body I just also males.. I don't want to do I'm only 13 so should I tell someone? A friend who is 1 of my friends cousins who I've never seen but I talk to on Skype., or should I tell my parents?

Thanks for reading this!:icon_bigg

2. Lacayda

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's completely up to you if you talk to someone or not. If you feel safe and confodent enough to do it, then I'd say go for it. If you are still confused and not accepting of yourself, don't do it. You're 13 so not everyone will immediately believe you and you should be able to 'defend' yourself against harsh comments you might be getting from your family when you come out.(*hug*)

If I was you I would go to the internet and talk to other people to learn to accept myself or just read what other people wrote. That often works pretty well (I did it myself and it worked for me:lol:slight_smile:. Being bisexual is completely okay and you just have to learn (and will learn) to accept you the way you are and be confident enough to actually tell other people eventually.

#2 Lacayda, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2017
  3. Yelozbhsbjaj729

Thanks for helping me! I'm probably not going to tell my family as I have no idea what to say/what they will say, maybe later, in a few years. I still have no idea if I should tell my friends though.. Do you think they won't be my friends after if I do tell them?

4. Lacayda

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd rather recommend telling your friends than telling your parents. If you want to tell them, do it. 'Real' friends will stay with you and support you and the others you don't need as your friends anyway.:lol:

5. Yelozbhsbjaj729

Thanks so much for the support! But how do I tell them?

#5 Yelozbhsbjaj729, Mar 12, 2017
  6. Lacayda

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually that's also completely up to you. You can either tell them in person or text them via Whatsapp etc. Telling people in person is, of course, always better but way harder to do as well. Maybe you can start a conversaion about LGBT in general and if they talk positive about it you can just tell them you are a part of that group. You could also start a conversation with one of the often-used sentences "I have a comfession to make", "there is something I need to talk about with you guys" or "I need to tell you something".
    Or you just wait until someone start talking about LGBT (but this takes quite a long time, believe me).

If you don't want to tell them in person you could of course just write them a message, maybe starting of with one of the senteces. I actually came out to my best friend via Whatsapp because I was not confident enough to tell her in person (even though I kind of knew she'd be supportive). Writing always is a lot easier (the hardest thing is to actually press 'send':lol:slight_smile: because you 1st: don't have to say the words, amd 2nd don't get the immediate reaction. People get some time to think about it before they have to say sth.:thumbsup:

That should not sound as if coming out via message is the best thing to do but from my personal experience I know it's a lot easier. The more you come out the easier it gets and you'll eventually be able to come oit to someone in person

7. Yelozbhsbjaj729

Ok, I'll probably send by message soon.
    Have you told everybody you want to tell about being lesbian? And if you don't mind me asking were they all supportive?

8. Lacayda

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For now actually just my close family, my close friends and my therapists know. And that's enough. Everyone else gets to know about my sexuality if they ask me (which basically no one does, since I dont "look typically gay"). I don't really feel the need to tell everyone for now. Everyone I told was really supportive so far. My best friend told me it felt a bit "weird" at first because I'm living in a small village with no really big town nearby. So many people don't think about LGBT at all. I actually wonder how quickly everyone would know it when I'd walk on the street with my (non-existing) girlfriend:lol:

#8 Lacayda, Mar 12, 2017
  9. Yelozbhsbjaj729

Ok! What age did you tell your parents? Also I hate stereotypes that leads me To a situation with my 'friend' when we were walking home for school like a few months ago he said
    'Are you gay?'
    I said 'I'm not sure'
    He was like ' nah your not you don't look iT'

Also how did you tell your parents?

10. Yelozbhsbjaj729

I have to go to sleep it is 23:49 here in the uk! Thanks to all the help if you post anything here while I'm gone I'll look at it tomorrow before I go to school! Bye!

11. deepwaters7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, just wanted to say that I hope that message goes well, I'm sure it will go OK

12. DreamonRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    HAULTTTTTTT. Do not tell your parents first. I am 14 and even though it is only one year people will assume you are just confused or your being a follower. This is something you have to wait for and then when you are in like highschool maybe Sophmore year you can say something. It may be different in your house but people think we are still kids and if you can't even date then how will you know.

13. Yelozbhsbjaj729

Thanks! Do I tell my friends?
    Also I'm in high school l, out school thing changed year7+ goes to high school.

---------- Post added 13th Mar 2017 at 06:54 AM ----------

Thanks

#13 Yelozbhsbjaj729, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2017
  14. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Yelozbhsbjaj729,

You should only Come Out to someone if/when you are ready and only if you think it is safe to do so. You might consider making a list (in your head, on a computer, or on paper) of the pros and cons of Coming Out to someone to give you some better perspective on whether or not it’s worth it to you to Come Out to them.

Having said that, many of us first Come Out to friends rather than family. We often start with a friend or two whom we believe will be accepting and supportive of us after we Come Out to them. Having a support group of friends who are accepting and with whom we can just be ourselves (without hiding our sexuality) can be very important.

Do you have an idea how accepting your friends might be in terms of LGBTQ people and issues? Have you ever heard any of them make supportive or negative comments about gay people?

In terms of how to Come Out to someone, there is no right answer. As Lacayda said, some people prefer to Come Out via text message. Others prefer just to tell someone face-to-face. Some people prefer to write a note or letter. How you come out is up to you. Something you may want to consider is potential negative reactions. If, for example, you were to Come Out to a group of your friends all at once and one of them were to react negatively and not want to be your friend any more, would the others just go along with that? Would it make more sense to Come Out to just one or a couple of friends, separately, at a time?

It’s totally up to you what you want to do. You actually know your friends, we don’t. But hopefully, this gives you some things to consider.

Best of luck!:slight_smile:

#14 Quantumreality, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  15. Yelozbhsbjaj729

Thanks for the reply! I'm probably going to tell a few of my friends via message! How did you come out was everyone's supportive? What age did you tell your parents/friends or family?

16. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Yelozbhsbjaj729,

I Came Out to pretty much everyone so far either in person or on the phone. Everyone has been supportive and generally accepting so far.

Because of my career, I stayed in the closet until last year. I never ended up Coming Out to my parents because they passed away before I was ready to Come Out to them. The rest of my family has been fine with it and I'm sure my parents would have been if I had Come Out to them, as well.

Good luck with Coming Out to your friends!:slight_smile:

17. Lacayda

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I told my parents at the age of 17. I've been wanting to come out for 6 month until I finally did, and it was more or less by accident. My mom suddenly started to ask me which kind of boys I like and if I'm interested in anyone (just stuff morhers like to ask:lol:slight_smile:. I felt really! uncomfortable and didn't really want to say anything. Then she asked me if I'd rather marry a woman instead. It was meant to be a joke but I started crying so her joke didn't turn out to be as good as she wanted it to be. She was a little irritated at first (I guess she just didn't expect me to be gay at all) but she was absolutely supportive and still is

Btw: in Germany it's always one hour later than in the UK:lol:

#17 Lacayda, Mar 13, 2017
  18. Yelozbhsbjaj729

Oh ok! If I ever want to come out to my parents Is it best to act 'gay' if you know what I mean you probably dont? Or should I just say like casually?

---------- Post added 13th Mar 2017 at 04:21 PM ----------

Thanks! Do you suggest in coming out earlier rather than later?

19. Lacayda

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't "act" like someone you are not. Just be yourself and tell them whenever you feel ready. If you want to act stereotypically gay, wear make-up etc. because that's your personality it's fine though. Just don't do it because of them. (Sometimes straight people are blind for "signs" their children might be gay. If that's the case with you parents you could act as gay if you want and no one would recognize it):lol:

20. Yelozbhsbjaj729

Ok, I told one of my friends I'm glad he didn't mind he is just asking a few questions because he never had met someone bi before ! ALso im only 13 like we're said yesterday so I'm going to wait a bit. Is it weird that 1 time I ereally like the look of boys (this last like a week or so) then ireally like girls, is that weird?

#20 Yelozbhsbjaj729, Mar 13, 2017