1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom found out...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 2qt2bblond, Apr 17, 2009.

1. 2qt2bblond

So, my mom recently was going through our computer when she found a list of my frequently visited websites. Of course, this one popped up. She brought it up in the car by saying she had found something concerning me on the internet. I knew it was very awkward for her and so i said "you've found the gay web site i've been going on" she said yeah and then we had a whole conversation about all the resources I have in my town and family. during this i never said flat out that i was gay or the reason for my going on the website... she's read all my posts and is probably still watching my user.

I've been using this website as a private way to express myself and get some questions answered. I know it's public but I still feel like my privacy was invaded by being outed like this. I'm not ready to come out to my family, although i'm pretty sure they all know, and would rather i have told my mom than her find out by going through "my diary"

Basically: i have no idea what to do. I want to tell her that i don't appreciate what she did (she thought she was helping me by telling me about all the help I could get through other mediums) and I wish she kept the fact that she found empty closets to herself. how should i bring this up without bringing the actual topic of my sexuality up? is that even possible??

2. That's very weird. It would really suck to be outed like that. Oh, and I love your profile picture. Amy Adams is a really great actress. :slight_smile:

3. Starshine16

I think if it is possible to make a general statement about respecting your privacy you should try and do that without mentioning any specifics.If you don't want your mom to know yet,then you really can't bring up sexuality to her or then she may start to suspect something if she doesn't already.

If she had suspicions and her venture onto EC confirmed it than she may just be waiting for you to feel comfortable enough to bring it up to her.

4. justjoshoh

Well she knows, celebrate that! Now that she knows that you've been frequenting the website and has read your posts, she should feel comfortable that you are able to express yourself among your internet peers in a safe manner. If she reads your posts in context, I'm sure she realize the lengths at which Empty Closests goes to keep this a safe place for discourse.

You have been honest to her to this point, so why stop now. Let her know that you come here for support, much like you would receive from the organizations available to you in your hometown. Ask that she give you a little respect and allow you to continue posting without such close supervision. Keep the line of conversation open and assure her that you feel that you can come to her and talk to her, but you would also like input from your peers.