1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accidental Out-ing

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SuperJulia, Mar 17, 2017.

1. SuperJulia

Hi I accidentally came out to my sister yesterday (I am bisexual). She supports LGBTQ+ and promised not to tell my parents but I'm still really worried :frowning2: help

2. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Sup-J. (OK, that nickname was inevitable, I couldn't help it.) Well, it's hard to imagine a better person than a sister to keep the secret... for some time. (Depends on the sister, I guess.) I hope other people on EC with this experience can say how long it stays secret once it trickles out.. even just a tiny bit. Good luck!

3. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is she talking about it with her friends? If she's not talking about it with anyone else, you probably don't have anything to worry about.

4. Lacayda

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you don't have to worry too much about it (kinda depends on your sister's age as well). Is she usually able to keep secrets from you parents? If yes there's probably nothing to worry about

5. DreamonRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I say trust your sister. If she supports it then she won't try to hurt you, I think you will be okay.

6. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're probably fine but...I would also keep a script in my head in case the secret gets revealed. Think of how your parents might approach you and how you might like to respond. Then you won't be caught off guard if it gets sprung on you unexpectedly.

You might also have a conversation with your sister again. Thank her for her understanding and support. Let her know that you'll come out to your parents when you feel more ready.

7. chrisk2017

You'll be fine, your sister probably knows better than anyone the need for discretion. Even better now at least you now have an advocate, someone who could be there for you at the time you decide to tell your parents.