1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out (sort of) by email

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Enzian, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Enzian

Hi everyone,

I recently saw my gay friend mentioned here and wanted to tell him I thought I was gay, reasoning that I owed it to him to do so in person. However, it turned out a few of his friends (who I didn't know) were around as well, and we didn't really have any time alone so the opportunity never came up. Instead I'm doing it in an email, but even drafting it has had me shaking in my chair, swinging rapidly between moods. Well, that and the 4 coffees, anyway.

This is what it looks like so far (except I've removed real names and some potentially revealing small talk) - I was wondering if anyone had any advice about things to change or add?

Hi X,

<some small-talk type stuff>

It was really good to see you the other day. To be honest, though, there was something I wanted to tell you. You may already have guessed, I don't know. Essentially: I'm not 100% sure, but I think I'm gay.

I'm not absolutely certain, but it seems to make a lot of sense. I don't think I've ever really been attracted to a woman, but I'm sure I have been to men. This is something that's been on my mind for a while now (about 2 years, on and off), and the time for sitting around just thinking to myself about it is over. I don't think I'm scared of, or worried about being gay but I just don't really know what to do next. I was wondering whether you had any advice, having presumably gone through something similar at some point? At any rate, it's just good not to be hiding this from you, and I'm thinking about telling a few other friends as well depending on how things go.

You're the first one I've told, though, so I'd prefer if you didn't tell anyone else just yet. I reckon a few people suspect something already though... I know this is a lot to drop on you with basically no notice, and I'm sorry I had to do it in an email like this. I'd rather have talked about this in person the other day, and was getting ready to do so then, but as it turned out we were never alone for any length of time.

Eerrgh. I am so bad at the feelings stuff. SO bad. Thanks for reading all that. If you could email back at some point soon (preferably not phone - the flat has paper-thin walls), I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you so much,
    Enzian​

What do you guys think? Should I press the big red send button yet?

2. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Thats seems fine to me. He's gay, so he'll completely understand what your going through, and should be more than willing to support you :wink:

3. Pokerface

That's good :slight_smile: I'm sure everything will be just fine. :wink:

Good luck!

4. Just Adam

sounds good take care

5. Enzian

Thanks, everyone. I've sent it now... the die is cast. This could be an interesting few days...

6. Thisisnew

Good luck sounds good to me.

7. biisme

I hope everything turns out well. (*hug*)

And be sure to tell us!

8. James

Sounds good, hope everything goes well. :slight_smile:

9. bob4carl09

bob4carl09 Guest

Looks good bud, hope everything goes well. Let us know!

10. Eleanor Rigby

I wish you all the best, take care and let us now how things are going

11. Enzian

Thanks so much everyone. It HAS been an interesting couple of days... more to follow.