1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTM (sort of) haircut

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by iHeartYouu, Mar 18, 2017.

1. iHeartYouu

I have short hair until i was 7 years old. Then, i began to grow it and maintained it long. I'm 18 now. All my life, my friends only saw me let down my hair only 3 times at MOST. Skyping when i just bathed, or going to the pool. This is also why I avoid going swimming too. Im afraid of letting my hair down. I thought of it as troublesome, like they might get in my way when eating / running. And here is a really hot country. Summertime all year round. Plus, I have a very low self esteem. I go out with my hair tied up in a ponytail, and thank god it is compulsory in school. I have 0 confidence of letting my hair down now, because I have never done it. Im going to a new school next month, where there is no more uniforms. I want to be myself. How I like it. Which is cutting my hair really short. Since I dont honor it much when it's long. I want a boy haircut.
    Im sure about this, Im a girl, but more on the musculine side. I even considered myself as a boy.. I never liked dolls or makeup. I lift weights and play gta.
    However, I told my mum last night that I want to cut my hair like a boy's haircut. I told her I want to try. I can grow it back but she forbids it. She's okay with me cutting my hair short. But in a girly type of way. My first question is what kind of haircut can pass as both a girl and a boy? I have a round face.
    And, being able to style it up or let my fringe down is a plus.
    Also, how can I convince my mum about this :frowning2: Im her only child, she's pretty homophobic. I know she will hate me, but I know she won't kick me out of the house. I had shown her some photos of girls in short hair. Like ruby rose. She think it looks bad :frowning2: But.. even if she allows, Im pretty scared.. scared about the judgements of my friends if i look bad. If you have your experience with this, do share with me!
    Any comments or advice is welcome too!

2. Eyerene

As for choosing a hairstyle, the best way to go about it is picking pictures of people that have a similar facial features to your own. As for finding different hairstyles, Googling "androgynous hairstyle" or any variant might be able to pull up something useful.

As for convincing your mom, I'm not really sure. Some people refuse to be moved in their opinions. Whether your mom likes it or not, it's your hair and you should have the right to do with it whatever you wish.

I've got my hair cut short a few times as well. I even had one hairstyle which had about 1/4 of my hair shaved off at one side. I was sort of nervous, coming into school the next day, but my friends really loved it. The hairstyle shouldn't turn out bad if you chose an image of someone who has similar features to yourself, if you can find one.